How thick is your hull?

srimes

Petty Officer 2nd Class
For those who have seen it, how thick is the fiberglass in the hull bottom for your boat? Please say what boat it is as well. Just trying to get a sense of common practices.

boatmanalso

Seaman
Re: How thick is your hull?

I have the plug that was removed from the bottom and it is 1 inch thick. The boat is a Northern Bay.

rodbolt

Supreme Mariner

bout 3/4" I guess, I aint cracked it yet.
ohh you asked hull, I thought it was skull.

Frank Acampora

Supreme Mariner

If I have seen how thick it is, it is too damn thin.

I once had a 16 foot Owens runabout. The last thing it did before I got it was go over a water-ski jump. the bottom on that was only about 3/8 thick at the keel. Slightly thicker after I repaired the three foot long hole in the shattered keel.

642mx

Lieutenant Commander

I hit something with mine earlier this year. I knocked a small piece of gel coat off, and was surprised at how thin it was. You would have to measure it with a micrometer and not a tape measure. A little epoxy and its all fixed. I now keep the epoxy in the boat! I'm not sure how thick the actual fiberglass is...

dingbat

Supreme Mariner

The "plug" from my thru hull transducer installation is about 1 1/4" thick.

Home Cookin'

Fleet Admiral

Dingbat was that at the flat bottom, the keel or the transom?
I had always thought that the bottoms were only about a 1/4" thick, but thicker at the keel, and transoms at about 2" judging from the motor mount area. Do yiou reckon your entire bottom is 1 1/4? How about the sides?
I know Grady's are top quality boats so I wonder what lesser brands, similar size have (like my Sea Hunt)
I also understood that "solid" hulls (no bilge) like Whalers are about 2-3" thick, but that's skin/foam/skin, not solid. Carolina Skiff has about 3-4" baffled floatation between 2 skins, which aren't too thick.
I'm neither arguing nor disagreeing, just interested in learning.

dingbat

Supreme Mariner

Dingbat was that at the flat bottom, the keel or the transom?
I had always thought that the bottoms were only about a 1/4" thick, but thicker at the keel, and transoms at about 2" judging from the motor mount area. Do yiou reckon your entire bottom is 1 1/4? How about the sides?
I know Grady's are top quality boats so I wonder what lesser brands, similar size have (like my Sea Hunt)
I also understood that "solid" hulls (no bilge) like Whalers are about 2-3" thick, but that's skin/foam/skin, not solid. Carolina Skiff has about 3-4" baffled floatation between 2 skins, which aren't too thick.
I'm neither arguing nor disagreeing, just interested in learning.

It?s been a while. I saved the plug so I went out and measured it and it's not a thick as a remember it. It's only 15/16" thick and yes, it's nothing but 100% hand laid glass.;)

The sample came @ 16" off the keel and 24" off the transom on the starboard side. I would imagine that its gets thinner as you get closer to the chine but I have no idea how thin. I replaced all the thru hulls 2 years ago with SS and the side walls where @ 1/4" thick.

The advertised hull weight on this boat is almost #3,500. Add in the weight of a motor, the 147-gallon fuel capacity, the hardtop, and all the toys I have onboard and I am a little heavier than your typical 22? boat.

srimes

Petty Officer 2nd Class

yeah that would have a heavier build than a 16' ski boat. Just a quick and dirty estimate puts the bottom weight at (22x8.5x8x15/16) 1400 lb. That leaves about 2000 for everything else (stringers, transom, cap, deck, interior, etc.)
Sound reasonable?

crewscontrol

Seaman

My boat is moored in a slip at the marina. I will go there tonight and drill a hole through my hull and measure the thickness. I will reply tomorrow. :)