How should i fix bottom of boat

bucksaw

Seaman Apprentice
Bought 16 ft cutter boat, looks like they may of damaged the bottom at one time along both rails. They fiber glassed it looks ok, but don't really want to sink. Can I paint something over it that might help me make sure it stays on the right side of the water? It's just been fiber glassed and left that way. Been told if I let it set in the water fiber glass could come off over time. Ok why did I buy it? Got it for 300.00 boat motor and trailor.

D

DJ

Re: How should i fix bottom of boat

bucksaw,<br /><br />Sure you can paint fiberglass. Preperation is the key to good adhesion.<br /><br />Check out this website and look at the paint section. www.westmarine.com

crab bait

Captain
Re: How should i fix bottom of boat

sand or grind it down ,,the best you can .. not hard to do .. just protect your lungs with a good mask.. one that cost more the 79 cents..<br />apply 4 layers of 7.5 oz fiberglass E-grade( EPOXY GRADE) cloth with thin epoxy resin.. avaiable at any marine center.. than you can determin if you need more layers or not.. <br /><br />sand ,, wash down with ammonia to remove 'ammine blush' an paint .. no primer needed..