How Safe Is Hunting?????

Fly Rod

Commander
:) Contrary to what many non-hunters believe, hunting is one of the safest sports in the United States!!!<br /><br />According to the National Safety Council, football is 500 times more dangerous in terms of injuries & deaths & golf, tennis, bowling all pose more hazards then going afield with bow or gun!!!!<br /><br />A survey of 100,000 football players found that 3,313 were injured or killed in 1994 compared to only 7 per100,000 hunters!!! Even ping-pong with 15 out of every 100,000 players hurt, accounted for twice as many injuries as those suffered by hunters!!!! ;) :cool:

ehenry

Commander
Re: How Safe Is Hunting?????

Its as safe as the hunters want it to be. I'm a hunter and I keep my equipment in good condition, my weapons cleaned, and ALWAYS ALWAYS make sure of my target before I send a round down range.<br /><br />Hunting is every bit as safe as boating and fishing... :D

pjc

Lieutenant Commander

when asked by another hunter while in the field "are you a sight hunter or sound hunter" I reply....."sound hunter, I hear a twig snap and I blaze away, reload, and empty the mag again". Never see that guy again :) <br />.<br />.<br />.<br />.<br />(just kidding)..safety first..ALWAYS..

Booner

Petty Officer 1st Class

Good stuff Fly Rod.<br />I have hunted all my life and was injured only one time. Got onto an icy tree stand early one morning before I could get my safety belt on I slipped and fell out of icy tree stand. A big limb cracked a rib on the way down to the ground. Ouch that hurt.

Booner

Petty Officer 1st Class

pjc: <br />That happens one time I was hunting Goat rocks in Washington state. I asked a hunter that I saw in the woods "See any thing"? And his reply was "no but I got a couple of sound shots off did't find any blood".

jinx

Senior Chief Petty Officer

I do not know whether heart attacks are included as hunting accidents, but if you're in your 40's or 50's watch out!<br /><br />Three years ago I performed CPR on a hunting friend here at my place for about 20 minutes, unfortunately to no avail--I had to give up before I had one myself. <br /><br />Get some help for that deer drag and pace yourself.<br /><br />Jinx

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

I have been shot twice by other hunters, both at long range with a shotgun so I only had quarter size bruises where the pellets hit but didn't penetrate.<br /><br />In both cases they had flushed pheasants that flew straight at me from 80-100 yards away. Once my back was turned but in the second case I saw what was happening and ducked so that the pellets hit the top of my hat instead of my face. Still knocked me down.<br /><br />Neither of them was in my hunting party but both "knew" we were there. Never hunted within 1/4 mile of another party after that.

deputydawg

Lieutenant Commander

It is very dangerous trying to shoot and drive at the same time!<br /><br />Really it is more common to become injured or dead hunting from falling, heart attack, or around here and west of here becoming lost and freezing.<br />Deer hunters are the worst for injuries. Those "waiters" that climb a tree and wait for an unlucky buck get hurt often. Usually once a year or more one will fall out of the tree. <br />These deer waiters also shoot each other about once every other year. They wear too much camo unnecessarily, and shoot at each others shadows. That is mostly on the public hunting lands around here.<br /><br />Other than the deer waiters the only other shootings from hunting around here are the idiots cleaning guns, locaing guns behind the seat, and those who try to climb fences with the guns.<br /><br />There are a lot of vehicles around here however with bullet holes in the floor and window.

kenimpzoom

Rear Admiral

My bro in laws father fell out of a tree stand and broke his ankle.<br /><br />I never hunt public land anymore cause of too many idiots.<br /><br />Ken

mvaughn

Petty Officer 2nd Class

A friend of my was shot in the back, with an arrow, on state land many years ago. He was not injured, as he was carrying a climbing tree stand like a back pack. He dropped his bow, figured out what had just happened, left everything there and has never been hunting since.<br /><br />Considers himself lucky to be alive, and figures there are alot of stupid people in the world.<br />No matter how careful you are, you still have to lookout for everybody else.

deputydawg

Lieutenant Commander

Been a few around here over the years shot by bow hunters. They will be walking through the woods and tall weeds carrying their bow above their heads making it look like a huge rack. Idiots will shoot at it thinking it is a buck.

ehenry

Commander

Mvaughn, things like you mentioned are the exact reason i dont hunt public lands.

mikeandronda

Lieutenant Commander

Just started hunting but the guy I hunt with really drove the idea of safty home to me......deal is only shoot what you know for sure is a deer.........basicly the rule is if your willing to bet your buddies life that its a deer your good to go.........as for falling out of a stand I know a guy who is paralized from falling out of his.......to be honest I think about that alot when Im sittin my stand. Oh and I thought I was gonna have a heart attack today when I acctully got a shot on one. :D