how often should i replace the impeller

aggiedave98

Petty Officer 1st Class
If I'm just running in freshwater, taking the boat out let's say 12 times/year and for 3 hours at a time, how often do I need to replace the impeller? <br /><br />Do you ever have to replace the water pump on the engine? When should it be replaced? Is it possible that my 15 year old bost has never had it replaced?

16Pilot

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: how often should i replace the impeller

I would do it if I were you, for the 80 - 140 dollars it is well worth it rather than getting a tow and ruining someone else's day on the water. not being a smart *** but just prevenative. Impellor- I would say once every two seasons.

aggiedave98

Petty Officer 1st Class

pilot, are you saying do replace the water pump?? if I replace it, when would it have to be replaced again? or were you talking about the impeller?

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Run the impeller for 2 seasons, then replace the impeller and the gaskets. During the replacement, inspect the housing for corrosion and other damage, the OEM Mercruiser manuals give details on things to look for when inspecting the housings. Gaskets and seals are replaced every time something is taken apart. Unless you think redoing things because an old gasket or seal leaked is fun.

Capt Ken

Commander

That's what Don is talking about.

blackz3

Petty Officer 2nd Class

impeller in the outdrive every 2 yrs ...water pump on the moter.....im not sure...but be specific what your asking about and look in your book for the correct part name this will help answer your question.

rodbolt

Supreme Mariner

aggie<br /> remember most I/O's have 2 water pumps. a seawater pump that is normally a rubber vaned impeller and a circulating pump that is a centrifical with normally bronze impellor. in fresh water the circulating pump usually lasts for years. inspect the vent hole on the circ pump snout monthly for signs of rust tracks. rust tracks mean the pump is or has been leaking. replace the seawater pump and nessasary gaskets,seals and housings and wear plates every other season in a low use boat.follow that guide and never ever start the motor without water to the seawater pump and odds are you will never ever stand at the counter hearing a sad tale of needing a seawater pump and a headgasket or piston.

aggiedave98

Petty Officer 1st Class

Ok, sorry for the confusion.<br /><br />I had mentioned "impeller" and "water pump" in the same post because I thought that's what my book called them. I mean "impleller" in the drive unit and "water pump" in the engine. Sorry for the confusion and thanks for the help.