how often do i rebuild my carb and water pump??

jason_c

Cadet
sence i have an older motor 78 johnson seahorse..should i rebuild all the pumps and carbs every year?? or mabey just a good cleaning?<br /><br />when this motor was rebuilt i was on site when this was done.. there was a new powerhead,lower drive was replaced and the pumps where replaced as well as all new wireing..

alcan

Commander
Re: how often do i rebuild my carb and water pump??

Hi JC<br />Rebuild? This word gets used a lot. I feel that it rebuild is too strong a word for routine service and inspection. An annual compleate service and inpection is prudent. You may not need to replace or clean anything. A lot of times just a little oil and greese in the correct spots and your good to go.

Fouled Plug

Ensign

If you use fuel stabilizer and store the motor correctly, the carbs should need minimal attention. The water pump? Depends on how many hours you run the engine, and in what conditions. I generally replace 'em every 2 seasons as cheap insurance.

mellowyellow

Vice Admiral

problems arrive when gas completely drys and leaves varnish. <br />even stabalizer doesn't prevent, but helps.<br />really depends on usage and local climate IMO.<br />error on the side of safety though, a lean carb<br />can burn a piston quick!<br />pump is every 2yrs for me regardless of hrs.<br />good luck,<br />M.Y.