How NOT To Start Your Day

OBJ

Supreme Mariner
Wheather: 4-6" new WET snow..still coming down.<br />Temp: 23*....wind chill below 0*.<br />Time: 0531.<br /><br />Bedside beeper: Station 56 respond to a down power line county road 17.<br /><br />Kick the boy outta bed...wifes already getting dressed....stumble around find shoes....maybe put on pants first...yeah...good....heavy shirt....good to go out the door.<br /><br />In the station...door up start truck..Jerry got there first....good...Jerry running around like a nut hollaring let's go let's go!...get on the truck Jerry. The boy drives...wife left at the station to run radio....good to go...out the door...time: 0537.<br /><br />Boy asks...lights and siren? No...just lights. Roads are bad...no need to scare everyone just for a power line. Jerry hollaring again...put the siren on! Put the siren on!....no Jerry. Put the siren on! You have lights on!.....Shut up Jerry or I'll rip your lungs out....thank you, that's better.<br /><br />Up the hollar we go...roads a little slick...boy is doing fine. Find the line....just a house service pulled away from the house...still intact....time: 0541.<br />Jerry again...running toward the line...JERRY! STOP! Do you know what that is Jerry? You don't? Then why are you running at it if coming from a power pole? You don't know? Great.....set up traffic control....lay down some flares until it gets light. Jerry???? Jerry???? Pay attention Jerry.<br /><br />OK...put the call in to J-Com..need Ohio Power. Directing traffic around line...danger minim.....Jerry! What the freak you doing????? I said direct traffic around the line not stop it!!!<br /><br />OK...wait for the power guys....<br /><br />Jerry!! watch the traffic! <br /><br />Some people think when you see flares you speed up....why is that?? And when the road is snow and ice covered to boot!<br /><br />Cold...snowing....wind....trade off for warmth. Getting light...traffic slowed down....waiting...waiting....waiting....<br /><br />0845 or so....power guys get here. Pack up and go home....feet are cold. Where's Jerry? In the house???!!! Why???? Calling home? Make note to kill Jerry when return to station....No Jerry you can't drive....get in the jump seat......Hot coffee at station!! Good wife....good wife. Let's go home now. Got to open the shop in 30 minutes. Boy can shovel the walks....<br /><br />Least I got to see the sunrise.....sorta.... :)

KaGee

Admiral
Re: How NOT To Start Your Day

I think we all have had a "Jerry" in our life at one time or another.

NYMINUTE

Captain

Usually a Monday. Must be DSST. Day start sadly time.

Barlow

Lieutenant Commander

yea OBJ... that be a good way NOT to start the day..<br /><br />Its all down hill from here..lol :p :D

SS MAYFLOAT

Admiral

I am tired of this friggen snow! :mad: <br /><br />Hope yer day goes better OBJim.

OBJ

Supreme Mariner

Day good since this morning. Slow at the shop, got work in back.....not to many sales today on fishing tackle....wonder why??????<br /><br />Talked to she herself a couple times.....alls quiet on the home front. "What ya' doin'?" says I.<br /><br />"Takin' a nap." says she.......must be nice... :) <br /><br />I musta' got retirement mixed up with somethin' else......but.....that's another rant.... :)

KaGee

Admiral

See Jim... you re-tired... that means with the new treads you good to go for at least another 50,000 mile!<br /><br /> :)

LadyFish

Admiral

Sorry Jim, if it makes you feel any better, I broke a nail today. :p ;) :D

BoatBuoy

Rear Admiral

Sounds like Jerry's real name is Barney? He doesn't refer to you as Andy by any chance?

OBJ

Supreme Mariner

That's what I love about this site......folks always make ya' feel so............(can't think of a word)......probably wouldn't be printable here anyways........ :D :D :D <br /><br />Thanks Keith......another 50K????? What are u doing Keith....my brain Keith...it's going....Keith....I can feel it...would you like to hear a song I was teached????<br /><br />LF....really sorry about the nail....hope it grows back.............crooked!!..... :D :D <br /><br />BoatBuoy......ya' suppose it's because his girl friends name is Juanita????????<br /><br />And what's with this myth called retirement???? (this is going into a rant if ya' can't tell)<br /><br />OK!!! Myth #1.....You can sleep all you want.<br />BUFFALO CHIPS!!!! If it ain't the bedside beeper going off....it's "Honnnnneeeeyyyy. Time to get uuuuupp. You have to open the shop in an houuurrrr!"<br /><br />Myth #2. You have all the time ya' need to do the things you have always wanted to do........<br />Yeah! And Saddam Hussin was a priest!! I like ta' fool around with model railrods, mess around with old O/B motors, have a little time to fool around with.........never mind.......JB will find me and beat the snot outta me. Not enough hours in the day folks.....believe me....the days should be on an eight day clock.<br /><br />Myth #3....Fish all ya' want....This is a good one. Who was the demented person that thought this one up????? Probably had a bad childhood or was beaten by his parents......possibly lives at the North or South Pole.<br /><br />Myth #4....TRAVEL!!!! OK!!!! THAT I DO!!!!! I travel from home to the shop and from the shop to home then to the station where sometimes we get to travel to some outreach of the county and we get to travel back to the station then I get to travel home again and then sometimes I get to travel to the store for "stuff" that should have been gotten by YOU KNOW WHO who was to busy traveling to the in-laws so SHE couldn't travel to the store so I get to do it.......get it???!!!<br /><br />Myth #5....Spend more time with the family......ARE YOU NUTS??????!!!!!! You retire to get AWAY!!!!! REPEAT!! AWAY!!!! Why would I want to spend MORE time with the FAMILY that's driving me bonkers now???????????? The perverse peron who thouth this one up needs some serious perfessional help.<br /><br />Myth #6...No more midnights shifts.........well this one is right.......'cept for those all nighters with the fire department which are few compared to a regular shift.<br /><br />OK....rant done. I'm sure I missed a few "myths" about retirement. But on the whole.....I'm really having a ball.....I love it....bout as much as a dose of hemroids..... :D :D :D .....just kidding.<br /><br />Now I can get some sleep..........RIGHT!!

Fly Rod

Commander

:) We had about 10"of snow here over nite!!!<br /><br />Had to travel up the highway at 5am, roads were terrible!!!!<br /><br />Half a dozen people didn't understand the law of physics!!! :eek:

cbnoodles

Chief Petty Officer

OBJ, can we talk here? I feel some negativity emanating from the essence of your being. Is there something you would like to share with the group? Perhaps by sharing your feelings with us you may find some inner peace that has, to this moment in your tormented life, eluded you. Please, trust the group and share your true feelings. We are here to help.<br />.<br />.<br />.<br />.<br />.<br />.<br />.<br />.<br />.<br />.<br />.<br />.<br />.<br />.<br />.<br />.<br />.<br />.<br />.<br />.<br />.<br />.<br />.<br />.<br />.<br />.<br />.<br />.<br />.<br />.<br />.<br />.<br />.<br />.<br />.<br /> :p

KeltonKrew

Lieutenant

snow...snow....that's what we get if we don't defrost the freezer :D <br /><br />LF...have MR. LF put another nail on there....I'm sure he can put it on STRAIGHT :D

SS MAYFLOAT

Admiral

KK, can you invent an outdoor frost free climate for us northerners? This AM there is 6 more inches of frost on the ground. That makes our total for the county at 72" for the season. My back feels like I have shoveled that much even though I use a plow.<br /><br />COME ON SPRING! I got lots of boat work to do. I can't do it if the boat has to remain winterized. :mad: <br /><br />Do you know what your total is Jim?

OBJ

Supreme Mariner

Not sure SS. Too much would be a rough guess. Right now it's spotty snow fall. St. C is in a white out condition and I can see a little sun where I am....I'm just 15 miles from St. C. I'm ready for Spring too. There's about an inch of new fluffy snow on the walk this morning.