How much water should come out?

alwims

Petty Officer 3rd Class
I'm trying to trouble shoot a running hot situation with my '85 150 XR2. My question, should there be much water coming out of these holes, please see the arrows in the attached picture, when running say 4500 rpm down the lake. Water pours out of mine like pouring water from a glass and 13 to 15 psi is all the water pressure I'm getting. I've done everything suggested on here pertaining to therms, poppet valve, etc.

Attachments

• DSCF9164-[640x480].JPG
    DSCF9164-[640x480].JPG
    83.4 KB · Views: 0

sschefer

Rear Admiral
Re: How much water should come out?

I'm trying to trouble shoot a running hot situation with my '85 150 XR2. My question, should there be much water coming out of these holes, please see the arrows in the attached picture, when running say 4500 rpm down the lake. Water pours out of mine like pouring water from a glass and 13 to 15 psi is all the water pressure I'm getting. I've done everything suggested on here pertaining to therms, poppet valve, etc.

You say you've worked on the entire cooling system but the water comming out of those holes is comming through the thermostats. At the most, they should only be slightly open at 4500 rpm but since you are pouring good water and decent pressure it only leaves the poppet as the problem child. Sounds like there's still a problem in that area.

alwims

Petty Officer 3rd Class

You say you've worked on the entire cooling system but the water comming out of those holes is comming through the thermostats. At the most, they should only be slightly open at 4500 rpm but since you are pouring good water and decent pressure it only leaves the poppet as the problem child. Sounds like there's still a problem in that area.

You say "decent pressure", I thought my pressure was too low. I've read on here that I should be seeing up to 28psi pressure. I've never, at any rpm, seen over 15psi, and just barely that with a new pressure and temp gauge, sender and thermostats.

sschefer

Rear Admiral

You say "decent pressure", I thought my pressure was too low. I've read on here that I should be seeing up to 28psi pressure. I've never, at any rpm, seen over 15psi, and just barely that with a new pressure and temp gauge, sender and thermostats.
10-12 is normal with 3-5 at idle. This is when you take the water pressure from a tee in the line that goes from the top fitting on the rear of the block down to the poppet. This is the correct location. If you remove the line down to the poppet and plug it then take the pressure off the top of the block you'll get more but you'll also trap air in the block and impede cooling.

If you have a salty divider plate with the flush fitting and you don't run in salt they say you can bush that down and use it to get a higher pressure reading also. I haven't done that but was told it would work and I am going to try it on the 150 I'm building now.

Faztbullet

Supreme Mariner

You engine has the old style poppet system and will not have a hose to top of block. Factory spec's is 12 psi min @ 5000rpm and you will see a lot of dump thru these reliefs. Are you getting a hot horn or showing hot on guage? If guage back the sender off 1 turn so it dont make as much contact, my opinion of temp guages is very low, sort of like a oil light on auto ...duh:p

alwims

Petty Officer 3rd Class

You engine has the old style poppet system and will not have a hose to top of block. Factory spec's is 12 psi min @ 5000rpm and you will see a lot of dump thru these reliefs. Are you getting a hot horn or showing hot on guage? If guage back the sender off 1 turn so it dont make as much contact, my opinion of temp guages is very low, sort of like a oil light on auto ...duh:p

You are correct about the old style poppet system. I took the plug out on the top of the block and tapped my pressure gauge hose there. I got the hot horn one time and shut it down immediately and it cooled right down. After that I did all the work. The new gauge reads 180 to 200 when going down the lake in 60 to 70 degree water. At WOT it starts heading for the 240 mark. I'm concerned how hot it will get in 90 degree water. It cools down real quick to about 150 when I stop down to idle.