How much water from exhaust on Volvo Penta AQ125/270?

harrisg

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Another question that may relate to my overheating problem. On my AQ125a/270, we are using a garden hose on rectangular earmuffs on the water intake. What we get out of the exhaust on the outdrive is a little water spray. how much water should I be looking for coming out of the exhaust?

rbezdon

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Re: How much water from exhaust on Volvo Penta AQ125/270?

the same amount as going in, the full water flow from the hose. I think you'll find most of the water exits the exhaust bellows up near where it enters the drive rather than out the center of the prop when on the muffs, but there better be the full water flow or it is going some where else!!

milkyway

Chief Petty Officer

Little spray? Overheating? Definitely something's wrong. Check the>> Water pump impeller,water feed hose collapsing,plugged manifold,plugged heat exchanger,broken outdrive pickup adapter,improper flushing adapter.

trebor0301

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Dont forget to check the strainer cup for seaweed,leaves,ect.

son7771

Cadet

You have to plug the weep hole in the very bottom of the drive or the water will just flow thru it. It is located just under the vent where you put the muffs. I used a earplug and it worked great.

f_inscreenname

Commander

The last boat I had used muffs on the outdrive. A couple revs of the motor would suck the hose semi flat and all the water would come out the exhaust. There should be a good constant flow even if the motor is cold and not using it. The water then should by pass the motor and go through the exhaust manifolds and out the exhaust. They alway need cooling when ever the motor is running no matter if it goes through the motor or not.

harrisg

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I found out 2 things during this issue. On the Volvo Penta outdrive when using earmuffs, you've got to block the hole at the bottom of the drive. I did that and water came out of the exhaust as it should. Also, even though my temp guage showed 225 degrees, when we checked it with a thermometer it was right at 180.

trebor0301

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Just wondering how did you check the temp?

harrisg

Petty Officer 2nd Class

We got the temp up by going for a 15 minute ride. When returning and at idle, we immediately took off the radiator cap and used a thermometer that was capable of showing up to 400 degrees. My temp guage varies little whether under load or at idle and shows 225 degrees. However the thermometer shows an actual temp of 180 degrees.