how much trolling motor is needed?

BigBassin78

Seaman
I had a revelation today, I took my boat out that had an old evinrude 24 on it. I was running it 12 volts though. I have the original manual for the 33 year old trolling motor. It states that the model I have running at 12 volts, has 12lbs. of static thrust. I did not know this until after I ran the trolling motor for the first time. It moved me and my buddy in my 16' hurst bass boat right along at a very acceptable pace. I was glad to see this because I just bought a 30lb and was worried that it was not going to do the job very well. The websites of the main manufacturers say that you need 50-80 for my boat....That's ridiculous!!!! 30lbs is going to send me flying up and down the banks. I think there is a big misunderstanding of trolling motors and what thrusts are necessary for different applications. I think someone should write up a standard guideline for new guys like me that could use usefu,l true info....The point is, if your trolling banks and between close fishing spots, then 20-30lbs is plenty, even for larger boats.

WaveJumpingMaxum

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Re: how much trolling motor is needed?

I have a 16'8 bowrider, V hull. Got a minn kota thrust trolling motor and it moves my 16' better and yes faster/just as fast with 2 batteries, 8 gal of gas, 2 people. then it moved my 8ft john boat (over loaded same 2 people, 1 battery, fishing gear). If im not mistaken a bigger motor would mean more thrust, so you could keep it at a lower number to acheive the same speed perhaps? a 2 setting on a 50lb thrust may be equal to a 5 setting on a 30lb thrust. The extra power could perhaps save battery life? ive seen 8cyl and 6 cyl engines in trucks (cough jeep) where the 8s get better mpgs cause they have the extra power to push the weight without using higher rpms and more gas.. Im guessing a bigger motor would be the same concept but with a battery instead of a gas tank.

j_martin

Admiral
Re: how much trolling motor is needed?

You get out on open water in a big lake with about a 25 mph wind and try to hold it on a point while you're cranking for bass, and then you'll know why 50 - 80 lbs of thrust is needed.

Fair weather fishing is 'nuther story.