How much to tip a fishing guide

artburr

Petty Officer 1st Class
What is a reasonable amount to tip a salmon fishing guide?

AK_Chappy

Lieutenant
Re: How much to tip a fishing guide

Depends on the price of the trip and the work done by the guide, I would say.<br />When I go on Halibut charters, the crew does the test drop, fillets your halibut on the way back, and keep the coffee on and piping hot.<br />I drop them $20-30 per person in our party, last time was a $150 tip. However, the original price of the charter is only $185 for an overnight trip. It also would depend on whether the guide was in good spirits, or grouchy all day.<br /><br />AK Chappy

artburr

Petty Officer 1st Class

Thanks. We have only utilized a guide once (wife and I) but are thinking of doing it again. Was to be a four hour trip (in Nehalem Bay) for $80 each. He gave us an extra hour to try to get us a fish and wife got one. I gave him a $25 tip and wondered if this was reasonable.

artburr

Petty Officer 1st Class

Also, he cleaned and filleted the fish and was reasonably convivial. Now, if was ME that caught the fish......

LubeDude

Admiral

I know this is the saltwater section, but Because I Bass guided this summer I want to say something.<br /><br />Funny, when I started guiding I hadnt even thought about tips.<br /><br />Here are my thoughts now.<br /><br />$10.00 a person if the trip was just OK, but thats cheap.<br /><br />$20.00 per person if you had a good time and everything went as expected.<br /><br />Anymore and it depends on how hard the guide worked to make things extra enjoyable, maybe gave you a bit of extra time, you lost lots of tackle or he ran the boat a lot trying to find fish or you wanted to go fast everywhere you went. I had a pair of brothers that wanted to go WOT all day everywhere we went. I explained that that was my biggest expence other than insurence and he said not to worry about it that they would take care of it. I got a $100.00 tip at the end of the day.<br /><br />I plan on the tip now to pay the fuel bill.

artburr

Petty Officer 1st Class

Lubedude:<br /><br />Somehow I thought this would get your attention. Thanks.

LubeDude

Admiral

Art, ya gotta come on down this next spring, Help out with the gas and Ill take ya for free for a morning or evening trip.

artburr

Petty Officer 1st Class

Such a deal. Can't beat that. If I get a couple of nice big bass, I might even give you a $10 tip!

artburr

Petty Officer 1st Class

LubeDude:<br /><br />Please forgive my flip response. Your generous offer is appreciated.

LubeDude

Admiral

No offence taken, If I were that thin skinned I wouldnt be hanging out around here. :)