How much to ask for a 1989 Bayliner Capri 1500?

I'm new to this forum, so hello from South Dakota. I have a 1989 Bayliner Capri 1500 sitting in storage that I'd like to sell, and I don't really know what to ask for it. We originally had it listed for $1800 but didn't get any hits on it.

It's in good condition and would come with a trailer and cover. Other than that, I don't know much about it (number of hours, etc.) It had about $500 worth of work done on the motor, but I'm not sure if that would be a turnoff to potential buyers. It runs fine now.

Any ideas on a ballpark range? Thanks.

P.S. I should've been more clear. Boat is used every year without issue. I meant storage as in stored during the winter months and whenever we're not using it - never had been sitting out.

Andy'sDelight

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: How much to ask for a 1989 Bayliner Capri 1500?

If it's sitting in storage how do you know it runs fine?

Edit: Just saw your PS note.

$1800 sounds reasonable. I would just list it again and wait for a bite.

foodfisher

Captain

Not a good time for sellers (economy). It's a buyers market and you may have to submit to a less than fair offer.

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member

Welcome to iboats!

The powerplant and outdrive have allot to do with it. Many people did not have faith in the older Bayliner's due to many owner's neglecting them.

Your boat sounds as if it has been maintained and stored properly....... it is just an obstacle you have to overcome.

Is it ready for water testing? Water testing sells boats ;)

I think your starting price sounds reasonable but prices really are fueled by demographics and demand. It is near impossible to compare used prices from other places.

Remember this..... your boat is a one of a kind. People will not be able to find a multitude of similar boats in that condition..... same exact thing as a used car sale ;)

Have you considered listing the boat on iboats.com? Where have you listed it? Ebay? Craigslist?

perchin

Petty Officer 1st Class

UMMMM.... We are talking about a bayliner capri 1500 right??? I had to sell mine for less than it was worth too.... but it was a bayliner, and most people have never heard much good about them. Force is probably the main reason for this.

kenmyfam

Supreme Mariner

Bayliners get a bad rap for being Bayliners. A lot of folk are scared of them because they have a bad name for hull and transom issues. This keeps the price down.
Good Luck though and as said above a water test will sell the boat as long as all goes well with it.