How much throttle slop should I have

Andrec4016

Seaman
I have a 83 Evinrude 140 my controls seem to have alot of play from nautral till throttle changes speed, is this normal if so why so much play throttle moves about 45d before the engine starts to rave up, and I'm not sure yet if I can hit full throttle due to space available till it bottoms out at the controls, boat will be in the water this saturday.. but was wondering if I can check before I'm in the bay flopping around half throttle...

roscoe

Supreme Mariner
Re: How much throttle slop should I have

Pretty much normal on the boats I've had/driven.<br /><br />You want to be able to pop the motor into gear and still remain at idle. Then you push it forward to "take up the slack", then accellerate.<br /><br /><br />Check it by pushing the controls fully forward, then check to see that the throttle cable has moved far enough to fully open the carb throat to the horizontal position. You don't want it to come short of horizontal, or go past horizontal.

D

DJ

You may want to unbolt your control box from the boat and make sure the lever is tight. It's tightened from the back side of the control box.

Andrec4016

Seaman

thanks to all I was looking through the manuals and your right it should have that much travel, it feels weird and from driving other boats you rent I don't remember that much of a slop, but I was concerned if it had enought to push it to full throttle..