how much is my 66 starcraft worth

Artjo

Seaman Apprentice
I have just purchased a 1966 Starcraft w/ 1966 merc 650 65hp. I am wondering if it is worth what I paid. Everything is original and it is in excellent condition. The engine was running fine till last weekend. Assuming the engine runs, does anybody know what it would be worth. Ill let you know what I paid after I get some responces. Thanks

Artjo

Seaman Apprentice
Re: how much is my 66 starcraft worth

Sorry that would help narrow it down. Its 15 ft.

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member

Boat Price = ????<br />Fuel Price = ????<br />Maintenance = ????<br /><br />Bottom line? Do you enjoy the boat? Is it batter then what you had? Then it could be considered PRICELESS! Do not dwell on your initial investment if you have already purchased it. Boats are designed for fun and cost money. So how much fun do you want? Well how much money can you afford? Good luck and enjoy!

Howard Allen

Seaman Apprentice

Well, as a reference point, I purchased a 1962 14' Starcraft in rough shape that leaks like a sieve with an old trailer about same year that I put new tires on and rewired, plus an old 28HP Evinrude motor that runs ok for $725. I have since put over $200 into it and I am not done yet (got to fix them leaks). So in my view if you paid $1000 for a bigger boat in nicer shape with a larger motor and didn't have to put anything into it, you go a hell of a deal!!!

Artjo

Seaman Apprentice

Thanks everyone. It is definetly better than what I had, because that was nothing. I paid $900 for it (including trailer)and the only thing I had to do was buy a new battery. Now it looks like the engine needs a little maintanence. Its worth every penny though. I was just wondering because I could not find the boat or the engine on the NADA website. Thanks again.

Ranger354

Petty Officer 1st Class

The day you buy a boat and the day you sell a boat are the two happiest days of your life. I have owned a few and you always seem to get what you pay for. If you like working on a boat and the motor, then that helps in the decision making. I feel like I stole mine from the guy, but I wasn't going to pay him more just because I thought it was worth more. I did send him a thank you note though!

ODDD1

Lieutenant Junior Grade

artjo, your boat is only worth what someone else will give you for it.....sometimes the dollar is not where the value lies....

page62

Petty Officer 2nd Class

If you overpay for a boat, but you're happy, it's still worth it. If you get a bargain and you're happy, it's celebration time.<br /><br />In you're case, you paid a fair price and you're happy, so life is still good!<br /><br />By the way, my first boat had a 1968 Merc 650. Wonderful engine, truly a work of art. (Oh, and I paid $1600 for a 16 foot runabout that looked like it was 5 years old, not the 25 it actually was...)

jimmer4444

Seaman Apprentice

I just bought a 65 starcraft cheiftain (21.5) with trailer for 800 dollars...all I had to do was register it and put in gas,,runs excellent and has all canopies..I guess I got a deal!!!

JasonJ

Rear Admiral

I bought my 17ft 63 Pacific Mariner for $100. At the time it had a Homelite 55 on it, and it had a trailer. I spent a few hundred putting in new seats and carpet, and a few more bucks getting the motor running. a month ago I got a 63 Merc 850 85 horse inline six for $200, and it runs great. I would say I have about $1200 into my boat after the dollar here dollar there spent over the last few years. If you paid $900 and didn't have to do the work I had to, then you got a decent deal. I take mine out every weekend, so I feel I got my moneys worth, and thats all that counts...