How much foam do you think I need?

vegard

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Im about to order foam and fiberglass supplies, but Im not sure how much I need. What do you think? check the link in my signature for pics of my boat. Its a 17' sea ray. Also how much epoxy do I need to cover the floor, and maybe the inner transom? Thanks,<br /><br />Vegard

JasonJ

Rear Admiral
Re: How much foam do you think I need?

Water weighs about 65 pounds per cubic foot. You want enough cubic feet to displace enough water to at least come close to the weight of the boat/motor, and hopefully all its passengers, but at least the fully rigged boat. So, take you boat weight, divide by 65, thats how many cubic feet of foam you should shoot for. Realistically, there is not enough room under the floor to fit all the foam, so try to calculate your under floor volume in cubic feet, and get enough 2 part kits to accomplish that. I had enough room for 16 cubic feet on my project, so I got two 8 cubic foot kits. I also had other areas of the boat that was foamed that did not require replacement, so that made up the rest of my displacement goal. Also, the foam itself has weight, so you have to factor that into your calculations.<br /><br />As far as epoxy amount, you need to figure up the square footage of the area you plan to wet out. I used 11 gallons of resin to wet out 30 square yards of mat, but I ran on the heavy side with the resin. Good luck....

vegard

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I just want to fill up under the floor, the way the boat was originally. I think Ill get 16 pounds then. You think that will cover it?

vegard

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I meant cubic feet not pounds ;)

boating brad

Petty Officer 1st Class

yea that should do it. wear rubber gloves while mixing and pouring, that is some wicked stuff, nothing but time will take it off.

vegard

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I will. Thanks.

vegard

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Do you guys think three gallons of epoxy should be enough? also how many layers should I put on the floor?

vegard

Petty Officer 2nd Class

You see, Im gonna order from US composites, and I dont want to have to order again