How much does my boat weigh??

apaseman

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Hello,

The other day, I had a blow out on one of my tires on my trailer while towing my boat. Long story short, I do not trust my tires so I am replacing them. However, I do not know what tires to get. I bought the boat used, and for all I know the wrong tires were put on the trailer. So, without being able to tow my boat to a truck scale, how do I figure out what load bearing tires to get?

I have a 18.2 foot 1987 Champion Bass boat with a Mariner 175 HP motor. I'm not looking for exact figures, just a rough estimate so I know which tires to look at...and is it bad to get tires that are for a higher weight class? In other words, if my boat weights 1,800 pounds would tires rated for 2,500 cause a problem? If not, I will just put tires on it rated at higher than any estimated weight.

Thanks in advance, I know you don't have a lot of info to work with but I could sure use some advice.

Philster

Captain
Re: How much does my boat weigh??

About 1300 for the boat w/out fuel and gear.

Add about 400-450 for the motor.

That's 1700 with without anything else. I'd round up to 2000.

By the way, the tires are sharing the load.

scoutabout

Lieutenant Commander
Re: How much does my boat weigh??

Sounds like a pretty good ball park for the boat. Don't forget the trailer itself. I was surprised how much my relatively simple single axle unit for the Scout weighs - about 500 pounds.