How many poles?

HawkeyDawg

Cadet
I asked a question in an earlier post about tach settings and got 1 reply saying my 86 or 87 35hp Mercury has 8 poles. The "generic" chart that came with the tach indicates 4 poles. I double checked the reply to my post and the chart, and both are referring to poles and not pulses. Is there a chart somewhere that will tell me for sure? I need to know for sure in order to properly set the tach.

Thanks for any help!

wire2

Lieutenant Commander
Re: How many poles?

Take a guess and try one. When you run the engine, you'll know right away if the tach is reading normal, high or low. If it's not correct, change the jumper. It won't harm the tach.

HawkeyDawg

Cadet
Re: How many poles?

Well that makes it a little less intimidating if I can't hurt the tach with the wrong choice. I think I'll try the setting from the chart that came with the tach first..... If that doesn't read right, I'll try the setting recommended by the other posters.

Thanks for helping me with that info, I think some times I make things harder than they need to be, cuz I'm pretty new to this stuff and I don't want to wreck something by not doing enough learning first.

Have fun and keep the prop side down!

Larry