How many people still dim their headlights with a foot switch?

jinx

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Odd question, but as I was driving my '87 Dodge Farm Truck last night, I began to wonder how many vehicles that were daily drivers still used them.<br /><br />For that matter, I believe that may have been one of the last vehicles to have a chrome bumper.<br /><br />Jinx

achris

More fish than mountain goat
Re: How many people still dim their headlights with a foot switch?

What's a 'foot switch'?<br /><br />Only kidding. The last car I drove this one of those was my grandfather's Model T.

Boomyal

Supreme Mariner

Hey, welcome back from the bounding main, achris. Did you return with the treasure?? :D :D

jsfinn

Lieutenant Junior Grade

A long time ago, my buddy had a 1988 Bronco. The high beam switch was on the floor. Does that count?<br /><br />By the way, that truck had a chrome bumper too. :) <br /><br />It got wrecked when an old Benz drove into the front passenger side wheel - broke it off and spun the truck around backwards. Nobody was hurt.

roscoe

Supreme Mariner

Lots of chrome bumpers on full sized GM vans from the 90's.<br />Also on 1996 f 150

AK_Chappy

Lieutenant

Until about 2 months ago I did. I drove a 1991 F150 with a floor dimmer switch AND a chrome bumper :) <br />FYI Ford does not have a fuse in the light system. Don't ask how I know, I just know that electrical smoke really stinks. It also takes a long time for the smell to go away...hehe.<br /><br />AK Chappy

WillyBWright

Fleet Admiral

You mean you're not supposed to use your foot to toggle the lever? NOW you tell me! I thought that thing on my seat behind my head was a cushioned knee-stop. Couldn't figure out why the passenger seat had one too. :D

LadyFish

Admiral

I had a 65 Barracuda with a toe switch. I actually preferred them, no confusion.<br /><br />Now everytime I go to turn my headlights on or off I turn the windshield wipers on. :rolleyes:

KeltonKrew

Lieutenant

they just went back to the foot operated dimmer switches in texas.<br /><br />Seems there were a lot of accidents with the wiper switch dimmer from Aggies (Texas A&M for those that don't know) They kept getting their feet caught in the steering wheel.

KeltonKrew

Lieutenant

Had a 68' dodge p/u that had a foot operated windshield washer. you pumped the rubber thing with your foot and it squirted water on your windshield

ndemge

Commander

Current tow Vehicle:<br />1971 Chevy 1ton Van<br />Love the floor Dimmer<br />...and the chrome bumpers :)

CoachHolland

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Originally posted by KeltonKrew:<br /> they just went back to the foot operated dimmer switches in texas.<br /><br />Seems there were a lot of accidents with the wiper switch dimmer from Aggies (Texas A&M for those that don't know) They kept getting their feet caught in the steering wheel.<br />
:D <br /><br />(formerly lived in Austin and still a big UT fan)

KeltonKrew

Lieutenant

(formerly lived in Austin and still a big UT fan) [/wuote]<br /><br />and I'm a huge Aggie Fan....Gig Em

kenimpzoom

Rear Admiral

Auto makers like it on the steering column cause it simplifies the wiring.<br /><br />Remember some fords had the horn on a lever from the column. Made installing the airbag easier.<br /><br />Ken

ebbtide176

Commander

only when driving my 77 jeep. i wish vehicles without the wiper delay had a foot switch, like my sis' 67 mustang had. it was a little lever hanging above the dimmer swtch. press it, and the wipers made 1 sweep. :)

eeboater

Commander

Same here... 79 CJ7... floor switch.<br /><br />It's kinda fun!<br /><br />Sean

cjones4@hvc.rr.com

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I remember in the early '70's... was with my dad when he picked up a used International Scout. On the way home it gets dark and dad has the high beams on. When a car approaches - dad starts stomping all over the floor and cant find the dam dimmer switch. Sure enough - it was a police officer who pulled us over for not dimming the lights. He let us go after dad proved he just bought it and explained that he couldn't find the dimmer. Maybe all that foot stompin was the start of the body rot that eventually did in that Scout.

Dave Abrahamson

Lieutenant

Originally posted by achris:<br /> Only kidding. The last car I drove this one of those was my grandfather's Model T.
Probably started the engine via a foot switch on that one also huh?

KennyKenCan

Commander

I had a foot operated dimmer switch in my '48 Willy's P/U.<br /><br />Had a foot operated starter switch too!<br /><br />Great truck, could pull a house with them 5:13 gears!<br /><br />Chrome bumpers on that truck!!<br /><br />I have chrome bumpers on my '94 Chevy Blazer, front and rear!!