How many people on here have fish tanks?

mikeandronda

Lieutenant Commander
At the moment I have a 75 gallon and a 55 gallon set up with African cichleds. I was wondering how many other members on here also do fish tanks?

LadyFish

Admiral
Re: How many people on here have fish tanks?

My daughter and soninlaw have 180 gallon salt water tank they set up a few months ago. They have already invested over $6,000 and don't even have all the fish yet. :eek: <br /><br />They are vacationing in Cozumel this week and had to hire an expert to come in and care for the fish and tank. :eek: <br /><br />They're nuts!!! The ocean is right in their backyard. :rolleyes:

Bigfun

Petty Officer 1st Class

125 gal. with local natural set-up, bluegills, fathead minnows, mud minnows, large and smallmouth bass, bullhead, softshell turtle, mapp turtle, crawfish. Crawfish recenly killed our baby snapping turtle.

Toad2001

Chief Petty Officer

I have a small pond in my yard with goldfish year round. They can get pretty big.<br />Sometimes the racoons get them, and then I feel a bit sad for a day, then off to the pet store and buy new ones for 10 cents each.<br /><br /> :)

LadyFish

Admiral

Geez Bigfun, we could all go fishing in your tank. :)

18rabbit

Captain

Not so much a tank as a bucket. 100gal Rubbermaid. It’s on the back patio…koi. We are putting in a pond, delayed due to rain. It is 30ft long, 8ft wide, 5ft deep. It has the city crapping over permits. Law says anything “intended for swimming or wading” needs to comply. A koi pond does not meet the criteria…no permits needed.<br /><br />I keep looking at that big hole in the backyard and wondering if I should finish it as a koi pond as intended or just fill it in with lawyers and cover it up. I don’t think they would be missed. In a strange and comforting little way, I kinda feel it is my civic duty…like serving on a jury if called. I can even visualize it…lawyers, laid out in a line like sardines in a can…in their suits…with their shiny shoes and brief cases. Rows upon rows of them. The world could be a happy place. I think I need therapy. :)

rwise

Captain

I have a 37 gal. tank with local fish, cat fish, bluegill, had minows but the cats got hungry!

mikeandronda

Lieutenant Commander

I really really want to do a native fish tank, Bass,blue gill ect...ect... wife says those are ugly fish :( Also hopeing to start a small pond this year....prolly goldfish or koi. I would love to set up 125 gallon. Ladyfish your kids tank is a bit out of my range :D Toad year round? I would have thought it would be too cold for pond not to freeze up all the way.

roscoe

Supreme Mariner

Have a 20 and a 15 long, both with radiant heaters to keep my baby (1-8 week old) cockatoos (parrots) warm.<br /><br />I use a 30 gal rubbermaid to keep leftover minnows.<br /><br />And 2 small aquariums in the boat.

18rabbit

Captain

M&R – if you get a Rubbermaid agriculture bucket (made as a horse watering troth) you can start with some little $4 koi now. I made the bio filter from a Home Depot pond pump and a 5gal bucket. The Rubbermaid bucket will be needed as a hospital should any fish get sick in the soon-to-be-completed pond/lawyer-mass-grave site.

mikeandronda

Lieutenant Commander

Thats a good Idea 18rabbit(rubbermade thing) also after a bit of research I was taken aback on how expensive both pond filters and saltwater Bio filters are, Maybe the idea is to build your own.And as for pond/lawyer mass grave if you do it right and made it deep enough couldn't it function as both? ;)

mattttt25

Commander

75 gallon freshwater tank w/ tropicals. lots of different tetras, barbs, gouramis, betta, etc.

Carphunter

Commander

Have a 55 gallon with tropicals also. <br /><br />I also like to grow algae, and lots of it. ;)

jsfinn

Lieutenant Junior Grade

I've had tanks my whole life - right now I've got a 55 gallon with a Red Belly Piranha in it..I used to have 4..but..well..I guess the one I've got now got hungry.<br /><br />It's not that I'm really into agressive fish - it's just that I've had everything else and I wanted a change. When this one dies, I think I'll switch to ciclids again. <br /><br />By the way, my fishes name is "Fluffy".

mikeandronda

Lieutenant Commander

Yea I got plenty of algae as well.......never had luck with tropicals was thinking of doing some. I like the idea of having live plants.

Toad2001

Chief Petty Officer

Hi mikeandronda,<br />Where I live the climate is relatively mild.<br />It rarely gets below freezing (only a few days a year).<br />Our cherry blossoms are out, daffodils have been in full bloom for weeks, the tulips are up, and we use our boat all year around as well. It has an oil stove, forced air furnace and dual bus heaters, so cruising is very comfortable.

18rabbit

Captain

Red Belly Piranha
Not legal to have these in California. Last year F&G confiscated apple snails from all the retailers.

mikeandronda

Lieutenant Commander

18rabbit in Wi. and Mo. it is still legal to buy apple snails and piranah.<br /><br /> Toad What part of Canada are you from that it rarely goes below 0 .......I guess you learn something new everyday

Carphunter

Commander

I have noticed that with tropicals, it is very important that you include the right type of "cleaner" fish to keep the tank healthy.<br /><br />I have had really good luck with tropicals.<br /><br />I was thinking about a saltwater aquarium, but I have heard that they are a lot of work. Any advice on the saltwater aquariums?