How many miles per $

HT32BSX115

Supreme Mariner
Re: How many miles per $

I would only say that "efficiency" is hp out vs. btu in, so I would not compare efficiency by pound or $. Just btu's consumed.

Of course, I was just answering the OP's question.

How many miles per $

And really, since we don't really know what most of these little OB motors burn per hour, it's really a comparison of what a Propane engine would (should) burn in comparison to a similar HP gasoline engine.

I have to assume that the propane engine (unless it's designed to be dual-fuel) would have slightly higher compression ratio AND slightly advanced ign timing (and STILL not exceed NOx limits) for comparison.

I would think we don't usually operate small boats and small outboard motors with MPG in mind anyway......

We would operate them for a certain number of hours either trolling, or cruising or in the case of a sailboat, maybe running it in a No-Wind (no-win?;)) situation for so many hours or until the wind starts blowing!

It appears that because they'd have similar or slightly lower $ per HR fuel costs, one would have to consider maybe the higher expense of the actual engine, the hassle of the MUCH heavier fuel tank , more complicated fuel line and the additional hassle of obtaining and transporting fuel.

QC

Supreme Mariner

It appears that because they'd have similar or slightly lower $ per HR fuel costs, one would have to consider maybe the higher expense of the actual engine, the hassle of the MUCH heavier fuel tank , more complicated fuel line and the additional hassle of obtaining and transporting fuel.
In a nutshell, this is exactly what I do for a living ;) lol :)

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

The little tanks can be refilled from your big propane tank for the house. Brings the cost down a lot.

The reason I mentioned this is that propane for home use, purchased by the gallon, is usually about the same price as 87 octane gas; sometimes less.

My last order of propane was $3.25/gal. My last tank of 87octane was $3.67/gal. (Walmart discount)

The same device that allows recharging the 1LB tank from your home tank can recharge any size propane tank.

Thus, with a little foresight, burning propane can be CHEAPER than burning gasoline.

Keep your math. A $.42/gal saving is pretty easy. I don't even need a calculator.

DirtyOldBoat

Petty Officer 2nd Class

My last order of propane was $3.25/gal. My last tank of 87octane was $3.67/gal. (Walmart discount)
That seems kinda high...gas station price? I'm surprised how much of a difference I can find in price around here from station to station, from about $2.29 to $2.99.

The same device that allows recharging the 1LB tank from your home tank can recharge any size propane tank.
Kinda-sorta. Filling anything larger than a 1lb tank generally requires some kind of pump like they use at the gas station. To get the green ones all the way full you need to freeze them and heat your bulk tank if possible. That can be hard with larger tanks. They do make small hand powered propane pumps though.

If I had my way I'd trade my boat for one with a propane powered V8. And everything else I own with an engine. :lol:

Fleetwin

Lieutenant Junior Grade

The real difference here is convenience.

Propane is not going to go bad sitting around for six months or more. Gasoline does. Nor, will it stink up car trunks and is less likely to leak.

On a boat small engine scale, it makes a lot of sense.

However, it does have storage downfalls. Propane is heavier than air so it "puddles". It will find the lowest point of a boat bilge or cabin. If stored in an above deck and vented area, it will store for years.

V153

Lieutenant Commander

The Westin Resort on Manasota Key just bought some of these motors for use on their fleet of small skiffs. It'll be interesting to see how they hold up at the hands of renters. Corrosion resistance will also be put to the test due to the water's high salinity content.

I spose LP might make sense in certain applications, but not mine. Just can't see carrying the propane equivalent of 15 gals of fuel on my Sunday afternoon outing.

I'm all for alternative fuel sources & new technology, but rental boaters have enough problems using old technology ... Westin's tryin to be "green" and all, but I think they're askin for trouble?

ronaldj

Senior Chief Petty Officer

crabby captain john

Lieutenant Commander

A long way for technology to go. I have propane for the cook top at the house and fireplace. The propane company told my wife to buy a dual fuel range- propane top and electric ovens. The convection ovens are more efficient he said and he sells propane not ranges. I can burn 45 gallons of gas on a trip in my boat with a 90 gallon fuel tank. Switching to propane a barge tanker would need to be pulled behind. just like batteries for cars-- the technology is not yet close to being a viable solution.