How many hrs did your alternator last?

Rinker97

Seaman
I think my alternator went bad its on a 97 mercruiser, I'm just wondering how many hours did your alternator last? I kinda want an idea on how many hours i have on my boat?

KJSmitty

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: How many hrs did your alternator last?

I think my alternator went bad its on a 97 mercruiser, I'm just wondering how many hours did your alternator last? I kinda want an idea on how many hours i have on my boat?

So I guess you don't have an hr meter :)

Mine went at 125hrs (5 yrs old). I wouldn't think that was the norm however.

Cheers

wvit1001

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Mine's still working with 425 hrs on the meter.

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner

What went bad? If it was an electronic failure, that can happen anywhere between 10 minutes and 1000 hours give or take a few seconds.

Rinker97

Seaman

What went bad? If it was an electronic failure, that can happen anywhere between 10 minutes and 1000 hours give or take a few seconds.

Not sure what went bad, Maybe somebody can help.. So I put a new marine battery in my boat about a month ago since then I've gone out about 3 times noticed my volts getting lower and lower. Last week I went out the boat started right up, had it running about 10 minutes then it died wouldn't start back up so i took my truck battery swapped it out and that lasted me half the day "meter was at 12v" i turned the boat off wouldn't start so i got a jump. That got me back to the dock which was about 4 miles away from where i was. My meter said i had about 9 volts at that time. I took the battery out of the boat put it back in my truck and my truck started right up.

Any ideas on where i should start?

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner

Measure the voltage at your battery with the engine running at over 1000 RPM. Should be between 13.5V and 14.5V. Maybe the problem is not your battery or charging circuit at all and just a bad connection somewhere.