How Long will they last !

4poco

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I was wondering about mounted tires on wheels. <br />Bought two trailer tires mounted on wheels. These have never touched the ground. Now my question is... will these tires keep in storage for years without any damage.........load star ST/175/80D/13<br />Or will they be not worth useing years from now?<br />Storing in the garage not subjected to sunshine.<br />Really need what all may think about it,,, thanks

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: How Long will they last !

Away from sun and other sources of UV they should have a long shelf life, 4poco. Several years anyway.<br /><br />Good luck. :)

amirm

Petty Officer 2nd Class

JB, so is the idea of carrying a spare on the trailer not good?<br /><br />Amir

Dunaruna

Admiral

UV light AND ozone gas destroy everything - eventually. Ozone is partial to a diet of rubber (the little cracks on sidewalls - ozone degradation). A spinning (and therfore heated) tyre lasts longer than a stationary tyre.<br /><br />That's why trailer tyres often don't last as long as car tyres. <br /><br />Aldo

4poco

Petty Officer 2nd Class

so your saying, having these tires in a box in the garage is subject to ozone gas destroying?<br />huh????? I dont get this.. please explain.<br />the side walls will crack without ever being used?

Solittle

Fleet Admiral

You should be OK for a minimum of five years stored inside, outside or mounted. Then keep an eye out for cracks.

qaztwo

Petty Officer 1st Class

Ozone breaks down organic matter, doesn't like double bonds or likes depending on which way you look at it. That being said I believe manufactures add waxes and other chemicals to prolong the effects. If possible store vertically and away from extreme heat/cold and light. You'll be fine for years.

Dunaruna

Admiral

Yes, manufacturers add chemicals to impede ozone degradation BUT the tire must be rotating and heating up to enable the chemicals to circulate and migrate to the tire surface - thus protecting the tire. Sounds like a myth doesn't it? Maybe Aldo has lost his mind :eek: :eek: <br /><br />Found these after ONE minute of googling, there are scores more with similar information.<br /><br /> Tire facts <br /><br /> Tire facts <br /><br />Aldo

Mark42

Fleet Admiral

Don't store them near large electric motors. They are major ozone generators. That "electric motor" smell is actually ozone.

4poco

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Thanks to all of you for setting me straight. Learn somethin new every day. I have left them in the box they were shipped in, lowered air pressure to 20 psi and storing them vertical.