How Long Will my Alpha 1 Last???

BrandonS

Seaman Apprentice
This 'gift' boat is getting expensive. So to avoid more cost I'm going to try an experiment, and would like some input and thoughts.
Boat is a 1987 Stingray SVC 190 SS with 3.7L Merc and Alpha 1 outdrive. Great boat, but small problems mount and get annoying. Most recently I pulled the outdrive to find gear lube in the bellows. I pulled the driveshaft and found that the seal was rotten, worn, etc. I also found that the bearings and races are pitted, probably due to water intrusion/condensation and 3 years of inactivity. I'll be replacing the seals, u-joints and the water pump.
It runs great, but groans when put in gear. Now the question is: How long will it last before the bearings give out?

I wouldn't mind rebuilding it, but I don't want to spend any more money, and I don't have all of the tools required for the build.

Brandon

tractoman

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: How Long Will my Alpha 1 Last???

Don't know how long but why not use it until it's dead and then put on an SEI outrive? Cheaper than a rebuild.

BrandonS

Seaman Apprentice

Excellent advice. I had no idea they existed.

liquidlew

Petty Officer 1st Class

Just hope it doesn't become DEAD down river or out in the middle of a very large lake!:eek: If it's that bad, do it now.

jtmarten

Master Chief Petty Officer

Your ...... drive ........ will ........................ last ................ until ................you ..............finish ................ reading ................. this.

BAM. Done deal.

No one can predict how long it will last. A 3.7 certainly isn't hard on it, so thats a plus.

BrandonS

Seaman Apprentice

I'm on Lake Hickory in NC. Small enough that I could swim the boat to shore if need be. I'll let everyone know how long she goes. But, it is really hard to ignore the now visible banner on the top of the page advertising "New replacement complete mercruiser outdrives starting at $1395" I know where I'm going when it goes.

Bondo

Staff member

I'm on Lake Hickory in NC. Small enough that I could swim the boat to shore if need be. I'll let everyone know how long she goes. But, it is really hard to ignore the now visible banner on the top of the page advertising "New replacement complete mercruiser outdrives starting at $1395" I know where I'm going when it goes.

Ayuh,... Being a 470,... I'd be Worried about the Motor....

Search up 470 in this forum, Just so you know what to expect....