How long should it last?

lmoreau

Seaman
Anyone know approx how many hours an 89 xr4 150hp engine should last? I know it depends on things, but what the generally accepted wear out point in hours? For instance, the 2-stroke engines on the ultralights I fly can last 1200 hours before rebuild if taken care of, or about 6-700 if abused. Any idea with outboards?

KCLOST

Commander
Re: How long should it last?

Opinions will vary....<br /><br />But, mine suggests that the engine will last nearly indifinitely if properly maintained and regular maintenence is performed... Assuming it's in good shape now, anyway...<br /><br />You need to check...<br /><br />Water pump<br />Stats<br />Poppet<br />Oil injection inspection (hoses, pump, etc)<br />Warning module (overheat and injection) checks<br />Lower unit lube changes (with inspection of it's condition)<br />Anti-Carb every few years<br />Carb cleaning when necessary (to prevent a lean condition)<br /><br />You get the point... I've basically never heard of a worn out engine, the reason they die, is a failure in one of the systems that if working properly prevents its death...

lmoreau

Seaman

I gotcha...That was the answer I was hoping for..I see so many large hp engines (150 and up) around my year model for sale on boats, often saying 'fresh rebuild' or 'recently rebuilt powerhead'. My 89 seems to run like a champ, and was wondering how long I could expect it to keep on truckin...Our ultralight airplane engines will tend to wear out due to their very light size...kinda limits on how beefy you can build them.<br /><br />I have a 30yr old evinrude that also has not ever seen a wrench outside of carb cleanings, water/fuel pump, etc...I hope the Merc can provide the same service!

KCLOST

Commander

Yep, all those v6 motors on ebay were blown for one reason or another because of one of the above failures, and some mechanic got ahold of it real cheap and rebuilt it... A good way to make money!