How long is it safe to leave a fibreglass boat in salt water?

freebo27

Cadet
Hi,
We have a jetty on a saltwater creek at the back of our house and I'm wondering if its safe to leave a fibreglass boat tied up to it for a few days, maybe up to a week while using it regularly while on vacation (or holiday, I'm in Australia). The boat isn't antifoulded and of course I'll be flushing the motor and hosing down after each use. Normally the boat will be kept dry stored at a marina, but I didn't want to do damage by leaving it in the water for too long, also the creek is tidal with a muddy bottom so I guess the boat will be partly resting on the bottom a few hours each day.

Thanks for any advice!

EJ392

Cadet
Re: How long is it safe to leave a fibreglass boat in salt water?

the boat itself is in no danger of anything aside from some algae and some marine growth on the bottom- nothing a light pressure washing or a good scrubbing cant fix

the biggest issue is with your metal components ie your outdrive/prop/running gear. make sure you have your zincs and everything is bonded. otherwise, if you arent afraid of a little bit of slime, you will be fine

oops!

Supreme Mariner

hi.......welcome to iboats 2 the both of you....lol

the above is correct......double check the zincs.

after you take the boat out of the water.....you may find a yellowish color on the bottom.

if you use industrial stregnth toilet bowl cleaner on it....it will come clean instantly !

glastronomic

Seaman

What part of Australia are you?
Leaving a fibreglass boat in salt water for 14 days is no problem with as stated above , the anodes are in good condition and mouted correctly.

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner

Here in New Jersey (USA), a boat may be left in the saltwater for two weeks tops, before barnacles start to form. Warmer water gives rise to faster barnacle growth. I do not know when or if you have those issues with barnacles in your area. Is it full salt or brackish water? Usually brackish will have less growth.

island mike

Chief Petty Officer

No worries about leaving in in salt water,I would worry about the few hours a day that the hull will be resting on the bottom as you stated...
Any rocks??

likalar

Petty Officer 1st Class

No worries about leaving in in salt water,I would worry about the few hours a day that the hull will be resting on the bottom as you stated...
Any rocks??

I agree. The locals will know, I imagine. Or, when the water gets low enough, put on some old shoes and wade in to inspect the area for rocks and debris that might do damage. A few rounded stones are no big deal, soft sand or silt is ideal.

Larry

freebo27

Cadet

What part of Australia are you?
Leaving a fibreglass boat in salt water for 14 days is no problem with as stated above , the anodes are in good condition and mouted correctly.

We're on the Gold Coast.

Thanks for all the replies, I'll check for rocks but many of the neighbours moor on pontoons year round including a sail boat, they either use antifoul or sea pens.

Home Cookin'

Fleet Admiral

mud/sand no problem, unless there are waves, too, as the boat is settling. But even then a little scuffing won't hurt. But if I recall from hitch-hiking up the Gold Coast to Noosa in my youth, all the bottoms I saw were smooth and firm--spot on, mate!

With an older boat especially, I like to have a battery cut-off switch to eliminate all electricity through the system. In salt air, the stuff leaks. That accelerates the corrosion from electrolysis. Of course, have your bilge pump/float switch wired direct.

Frank Acampora

Supreme Mariner

Just be sure to put a good coat of paste wax on before you dunk it. It will make cleaning it easier when you take it out.

island mike

Chief Petty Officer

I just want to add or rather ask you this:When you see boats in a harbour,do you really think that these boats get taken out every day or so?,Overthinking your question I find it rather strange you ask this...
A boat is built to be in the water they dont get taken out very often..
Not trying to give you a hard time but..
Regards I mike

Home Cookin'

Fleet Admiral

it's a two part question--how long can an unpainted hull be moored and is there harm in resting on the bottom at low tide. The "safe" in the title is more like "advisable", as to marine growth. obviously water doesn't hurt fiberglass

island mike

Chief Petty Officer

it's a two part question--how long can an unpainted hull be moored and is there harm in resting on the bottom at low tide. The "safe" in the title is more like "advisable", as to marine growth. obviously water doesn't hurt fiberglass
Right.
Regards i mike