How long is a snapping turtle's neck?

G-Daddy

Petty Officer 2nd Class
This story does not involve a boat, but there was fishing and lots of beer. Several guys where I work went fishing last weekend at a local pond. One of the guys caught a rather small bass and as he was landing the fish a snapping turtle grabbed it and wouldn't let go. He pulled the fish and turtle up on the shore. One of the guys said he wondered how long a snapping turtle's neck was and put his face up to the turtle. The turtle reached out and grabbed his nose. The other guys pried the beak off the guy's nose and took him to the emergency room. He came in to work on Monday with a bandage on his face the size of a softball. Sure made for interesting discussion in the break room.

pmueller

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Re: How long is a snapping turtle's neck?

Had a similar incident, but no hospital involved. Fishing with my son at a local farm pond, pulled in a nice pike. Had it on a stringer. When we went to leave pulled up the stringer with turtle clamped down hard on the fish :eek: Ended up undoing the fish from the stringer and away it went with the turtle :mad: So much for our fish dinner.

mellowyellow

Vice Admiral

holy moly! don't mess with snappers.<br />seen some big ones snap a 1" broom<br />like a toothpick. surprised he has any<br />nose left at all. <br />be callin him stubby from now on? LOL

KennyKenCan

Commander

A snapping turtles neck is only as long as needs to be to bite you on the nose!<br /><br />That's a funny story G-Daddy.

cotterman

Chief Petty Officer

OUCH! there has to be an easier way to study snapping turtles.

martyscher

Petty Officer 1st Class

Is there an evolutionary lesson to be learned here? :p

ebbtide176

Commander

lmao at marty! no doubt :rolleyes: <br /><br />i've heard the only safe way to grab one is by the tail, as they can snap you while on any leg...<br /><br />my granpa used to grab 'em. me- no way. i shot em for him though. and i ate a couple. but getting any digits or part of my body near their head - no thanx... i remember long ago - like 30yrs- he would put a stick down in their face. they'd snap that thing, and he could pick them up, and whack their heads off- they would NOT let go.<br /><br />i remember my grandma always said that if a snappin turtle got you, it would not let go unless lightning struck it :eek:

ebbtide176

Commander

oh, i forgot to add - i've heard their neck is 2/3 body(shell) length

OBJ

Supreme Mariner

Nathan got it right. THAT SUCKS!!!!<br /><br />My GrandDad taught me how to noodle for turtle when I was just about 13 or 14. Never got bit...yet. Pap only got bit once and it was just a scratch. <br /><br />What the hell was that guy thinkin' about?? Them things can ruin yer day!!<br /><br />Makes me pucker just to think about it.

Scoop

Lieutenant Junior Grade

That's hilarious. those snappers can strike like a snake with their neck. They can definitely get you with the neck if you hold on to just one leg no matter which one. I've picked a couple up by the sides of the shelll, but I would not even recommend that because the mouth gets way too close. I have heard they never let go when they get you. I personally never want to find out.

oddjob

Commander

When I was 6 or 7 my fathers friend Bob picked up a 14-16" snapper up from a riverbank I guess to take home and eat. He was walking up the bank holding it by the tail at his side and was walking a few steps behind him. Everything seemed ok because the turtles head was recessed in defence I suppose.... but only for the moment.I will never forget the site of that turtles head repeatedly extending and goining for his thigh, eash time getting closer as we walked. Bob saw this as people were warning him but he laughed off as he fiqured the turtle didn't have enough reach to get him. Bob was a tough old man, worked for my father as small aircraft mechanic and my best friend when I went to work with my dad on Saturdays. I think the combination of Bob's arm tiring and the determination and timing of the snapper watching Bobs leg swinging by proved to be the breaking point. From behind him I watched that snapper extend its head for all it was worth and latch on to Bobs thigh. Bob was not impressed so he or someone cut its head off cause it wouldn'tlet go otherwise. I dont remember how they got the head off. Bob did eat the turtle. Later, as a teen I literally walked on the water several times while wade fishing and stepping on a smooth over grown pepple/rock or turtle. Sometimes you can't tell the difference .. so instinct and fear always sets in for me still today, to the unknowing bystanders amusment! Better safe than sorry! Also I can confirm the statement about the neck length ='s the diameter.\

Jack Shellac

Lieutenant Commander

My Grandpa used to fish a few nets for catfish when I was a kid. We'd ocasionally get a BIG snapping turtle in the net and Grandpa would put me in the other end of the boat while he got him out of the net. He said that if a snapper ever got ahold of you, he wouldn't let go until it thundered and there wasn't a cloud in the sky today. The story worked. He didn't have a bit of trouble keeping me out of the way.

ob

Admiral

Good thing it wasn't one of those south Texas alligator snappers or he wouldn't have a nose to bandage.Three years ago a neighbor netted a 35 pouder from his backyard pool.That's one turtle you don't want to mess with.

Kilgore Trout

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I just bought a brand new rowing shell with a beautiful set of handcrafted oars. <br /><br />I was rowing on the Nissequogue "River" on Long Island when thought I hit something with my oar.<br /><br />I Stopped dead in the water.<br /><br />A snapper took a nice clean bite out of the oar.

KennyKenCan

Commander

Kilgore Trout,<br /><br />Congrat's on spelling Nissequogue correctly.<br /><br />Very rarly have I seen anyone spell it correctly.<br /><br />Same holds true for Connetquot River.<br /><br />Once again congrats and I hope you had a good time here on Long Island.<br /><br />Kenny

Kilgore Trout

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I coached the rowing team at Dowling College on the Connetquot.<br /> I lived on LI for 6 years. crew up in Poughkeepsie (upstate) You gotta love those east coast place names.<br />I hate winter, so I am now living in Southern California

jamiewashere256

Petty Officer 3rd Class

We run a non-profit turtle rescue shelter in Atlanta. We just got a very young alligator snapper some kid was keeping as a pet....Jeez. It has shell rot so were nursing it and will release it in lake Lanier. But it's a mean little guy even at less than 1 lb. The kid that had it is luck he didn't get the pinch of a lifetime.

nigelbear

Petty Officer 3rd Class

i have seen many turtles lose a head because my grandfather wasnt losing his dinner