How long before themostat opens

picman59

Cadet
I have a 1970 Johnson 60 HP 3 cylinder motor. This is my first outboard with a themostat. I have run it in a tank for about 15 minutes and can measure the water output in drops. How long before the thermostat opens?

I know the water pump does work as there is water flow when the thermostat is out. I have tested it in my kitchen and it opens at about 160 degrees.

I take it there is a bypass system where the water flows until it opens. I am wondering if the motor is in the tank deep enough. I see water coming out of 2 places above where the lower unit attaches.

I do have a new impeller to install as this boat sat for a number of years before I got it.

Thanks for any insight!

kenmyfam

Supreme Mariner
Re: How long before themostat opens

Change the impeller, flush out the cooling system while the lower unit is off. Stat generally starts opening around the 140 degree mark from my experience.
How is the head temperature ??? Should be able to hold your hand on it for around the 4 second mark when at operating temperature.

Mas

Lieutenant Commander

Yes, your motor should be deep enough onto the water so the cav/antivent plate is completely submerged (i.e. deeper than the wayerpump!).

Although the tell-tale does not indicate proper cooling, water only dribbling out of the tell-tale does indicate a problem that must be rectified. You may just need to ream the tell-tale with some weed-eater line if it is clogged.

I would replace the impeller ASAP since it is due. Submerge the leg, and report back.

MAS

F_R

Supreme Mariner

Motor in question does not have a tell-tale. The indicator is water droplets blowing out the exhaust relief in the back of the motor. That works on the overflow principal, the whole housing fills up with water and some overflows out the holes. But nearly all of it goes out the bottom.

Having said all that, the thermostat does have a bypass and never completely shuts off the water, so there should always be some flow. Also, the 'stat opens and closes as necessary to maintain proper temp. It is not a strict open/shut situation.

You are wise to replace the pump. That is your best insurance against overheating.

picman59

Cadet

I will replace the impellor and flush the system. I don't think there is a blockage as there is a good flow of water out the ports when the themostat is removed. Having said that, I am in an area that has tons of asian beetles in the fall. It is very possible that some made there way up into the port before I got the boat.

I don't believe the motor actually reached the proper operating temp as I could hold my hand on the head for longer than 4 seconds. That was the main driver for asking about the depth in the tank. I was thinking those weep/drain holes would have much more backpressure on them if the boat was actually moving. This should hold back the bypass flow a little bit allowing the remaining water to warm up faster.

I will report back once I am able to complete the process.

Thanks for your help. Glad I found this site. I think I am going to learn alot more about my motors here.

picman59

Cadet

I might have found a small problem. When I dropped the lower unit, I only saw one water tube guide. It was on the back hole in the cap. By the parts manual, it is the long guide.

Don't know why there is a long and short. The copper water line is the same length.

Will I now need to fab or buy a guide? Or can I get away with how it was setup when I pulled it apart?

I am thinking a shotgun shell looks about the right size.

kenmyfam

Supreme Mariner

Don't really fully understand what you are saying.
Can you post a few photos of what you have. This will give us all a better and more accurate idea of how to answer.

picman59

Cadet

I can post pictures as I have to pull it apart again. New problem. I have no spark!! A wire pulled out of one of the shift selenoids and evidentially my repair was not sufficient. I think the motor senses it is in gear? Or maybe because I was too lazy to get the battery. I tried to jumper cable start it and the one cable contacted both + and - on the car battery. Hope it did not take out anything electrical in the powerhead.

I guess before I was trying to say that there are two pcs of plastic tube that sit on top of the impeller housing. The are used to guide the copper water lines to the top of the housing so that the lower unit can be fully seated and bolted in. I made a new guide from a 3 inch 12 ga shot shell. Just makes it for length and dia. I did find the one I thought was missing. It is on one of the copper tubes but I could not find anything to reach that high up into the shaft housing.

Think I should repost the new problem in a different thread?

kenmyfam

Supreme Mariner

I can post pictures as I have to pull it apart again. New problem. I have no spark!! A wire pulled out of one of the shift selenoids and evidentially my repair was not sufficient. I think the motor senses it is in gear? Or maybe because I was too lazy to get the battery. I tried to jumper cable start it and the one cable contacted both + and - on the car battery. Hope it did not take out anything electrical in the powerhead.

I guess before I was trying to say that there are two pcs of plastic tube that sit on top of the impeller housing. The are used to guide the copper water lines to the top of the housing so that the lower unit can be fully seated and bolted in. I made a new guide from a 3 inch 12 ga shot shell. Just makes it for length and dia. I did find the one I thought was missing. It is on one of the copper tubes but I could not find anything to reach that high up into the shaft housing.

Think I should repost the new problem in a different thread?

Re-post your new problem.
Find your motor here and give us all a path to find it. Itemise what your issue is with part numbers and we can all go from there.

http://shop2.evinrude.com/ext/index.aspx?s1=bf6ad09c53cead335fcfd8a6471c0f7f

picman59

Cadet