how hot should it run?

Mucka29

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Re: how hot should it run?

i have some melt sticks that are 180, 190, 200 and 210, should i try one of these?

Mucka29

Petty Officer 3rd Class

I took the thermastat out of the motor

rickdb1boat

Supreme Mariner

Mucka 29 <br /><br />160 Degrees should be the max. 190 degrees is way too hot.

Mucka29

Petty Officer 3rd Class

i've been running the motor in a bucket of water should i go out in the lake and check the temp, the took the thermastat out and made sure the tell tale line wasn't clogged, i also took the water jacket off of the left hand side, when facing from back, all seemed good, very little corosion, the motor runs great other than it gets hot

rickdb1boat

Supreme Mariner

Middleground is on about the T-Stat. Replace it as soon as possible. Don't run without one, as your motor will never reach proper operating temp.

rickdb1boat

Supreme Mariner

Make sure the water pick-ups on the lower unit are completely submerged in the water for proper cooling. In the water(Lake) would be best.

Mucka29

Petty Officer 3rd Class

my evinrude mechanic said that it would be fine when it is hot out, but why it still getting hot?

rickdb1boat

Supreme Mariner

I would say you either don't have enough water over the intakes or the pump is not installed correctly. Check it again just to be sure. Check the water tube and grommets, also.

Mucka29

Petty Officer 3rd Class

yes, i took the lower unit off many times before i knew i had the copper pipe in the grommets

rickdb1boat

Supreme Mariner

Is the impeller key in place? Did you rotate the impeller the correct direction when installing it? Just covering all the bases. If nothing else, remove the lower unit again and blow out ALL the passages with compressed air while the T-stat is out.

OBJ

Supreme Mariner

Mucka....let me point out one thing here to add to the good advise already given.<br /><br />The water pump MUST be under water to work. It will not draft water. Are you sure the water pump is under water when running in a "bucket"?<br /><br />The other guys have got ya' going in the right direction so I'll butt out. Just wanted to be sure you understood about the water pump being submerged.

ob

Admiral

What condition was the old impeller in that you replaced?Were there any missing impeller flutes that could be causing water jacket restriction?Also bare in mind that the T/stat assy has a multi function.One is to contain the cooling water within the engine jackets until it has attained a preset temp that allows it to escape and be replaced with cooler water.Another funtion that it serves is to provide adequate back pressure which provides for the "squeeze" of cooling water against the jackets for efficient heat transfer.I would recommend removing the T/stat cover and lower unit and thoroughly backflushing water until you are satisfied that no restriction is present.I would then reassemble with a new factory T/stat assy and pay particular attention to the placement of the waterpump discharge tube.

Mucka29

Petty Officer 3rd Class

the old inpeller was in good condition, but the housing was cracked, so i bought the water pump kit from my local marina and followed all directions in assembling it, the water pump has 5 inchs of water of it while running in bucket.<br /> How many PSI of compressed air should i blow through the water jackets

jim dozier

Lieutenant Commander

Be advised that the 160 degree F reading is on the cylinder. The cylinder heads will normally run hotter than that.

Mucka29

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Hey,<br /> I finally said **** it and took it to a marina, for 80 bucks i got a cool runnin rude

Hooty

Rear Admiral

What did they do to it at the marina?<br /><br />c/6<br />Hooty

Mucka29

Petty Officer 3rd Class

hey,<br /> at the marina, they thought that i put the water pump in wrong and checked it, but i was right, so than they decided to check the head gasket, it had two holes in it, when the re assembled it , it go a new thermastat, gaskets and now it runs great

Hooty

Rear Admiral

Hey, thanks for gettin' back and letting us know. You're info and experience with your engine may help somebody else. <br /><br />Thx. & c/6<br />Hooty