How hot is too hot for an engine?

On a typical engine how hot can they get without cause for concern. I ask because today I ran a 15 hp engine for about 20 mins at WOT and then I took the hood off and felt the top of the heads. It was hot enough to where you could only leave your hand on it for a few short seconds. I was thinking of buying the engine but I didn't know if this was a problem since my engine tends to run much cooler. Usually you can place your hand of the heads anytime without them beeing too hot to stand. Any information you have will be greatly appreciatted and could save me $$$. Please help. Also, the temperature on the lake today was in excess of 90 degrees. Thanks.

D

DJ

Re: How hot is too hot for an engine?

Stream,<br /><br />It PROBABLY is OK, did you have good water flow from the "telltale"?<br /><br />If it is overheating, a thermostat and impeller service will probably fix it right up.

Since it started first try and ran good i wouldn't assume there is any damage. What internal damage is common to overheating engines and would a small damage be readily noticable.<br />Thanks for the suggestion.

oldboat1

Fleet Admiral

can look for paint discoloration or flaking at the head. Given 20 minutes at WOT with 90 degree cooling water, it doesn't sound like the motor is running too hot. Most testing instructions refer to cooling tank temps not exceeding 80 degrees. I would guess the motor is a keeper -- and one pretty well tested.

Thanks for the info. I will probably be buying the engine tommorrow. First thing i plan to do however is check the thermostat and impeller. Thanks to all

oldboat1

Fleet Admiral

oh...unless it's a Force.<br /><br />nah. I'm just kidding. sounds like a good one.