how high should your motor raise?????

00000dan

Petty Officer 3rd Class
i have a 1976 135hp v4 evinrude. i have this motor mounted to a 16' fiberglass trihull. its an invader brand out of giddings, tx. (no one knows anything about these boats) its seems that when the motor is all the way up it is just not high enough. is there something wrong with the motor or the boat? when the motor is all the way down it is sitting at a 90 degree angle so i would think its the boat but i might be wrong. thank you for taking the time to read this and any suggestions will be more then welcome. im going to take some pics this weekend to see if this will help out a little more.<br /><br /><br />dan

Dhadley

Supreme Mariner
Re: how high should your motor raise?????

When you refer to up and down are you refering to trim angle (in & out)? Or do you actually mean mounting the motor higher on the transom?<br /><br />What is the rig doing or not doing that you'd like to change?

00000dan

Petty Officer 3rd Class

im sorry i am new to boating so i dont know how to word everything i want to say. i dont think that my moter is going out as far as i think it should. i have seen a few boats this morning and just so happened to notice the position of there motors when they were on there trailors. they were about 10degrees away from being horizontal. is this a comman. it would seem that having it out like this would take some pressure away from the transum. mine is not doing that and would like to know what my options are.

Dhadley

Supreme Mariner

OK, were talking about the trim range. No problem. On the stern brackets of your motor there are holes at the bottom. That is basically the trim range. Anything out further is in the tilt range. With hydraulic tilt & trim the motor will run anywhere in that trim range and move back and forth. Once stopped the hydraulics will tilt the motor further up or out. That may be what youre seeing. <br /><br />If your motor doesnt have hydraulic tilt & trim you can move that rod to any of those holes to change the trim angle.<br /><br />The further out or up you trim, the more pressure is put on the transom.

mjash

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I think Dan is talking tilt. Dan some motors have power tilt trim, some manual. on some newer boats the Power tilt brings the motor all the way up and the trailer lock is right there at the top of the travel, my friends yamaha is like that. My older evinrude will tilt all the way up but the trailer lock is in the mid range. So my motor sits at about a 45* angle. I am imagining yours is the same way....Are you using the trailer lock at all?

00000dan

Petty Officer 3rd Class

yes i am using my lock. and mine is just like yours. i guess i was just really worried that i was going to hit a bump or somthing and have the motor his the road and ruin it. the motor will raise very high. Should i trust the hydrolics to keep it that high or should i just leave it at the level of the lock????

Tacklewasher

Lieutenant Commander

Use the trailer lock. I wouldn't want the strain on the hydraulics. I doubt the bump will do anything to your motor but you can get something called a "transom saver" as an extra support from the trailer to the bottom of the motor.

red boat

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Dan, I used to own an Invader "Intruder 16'-0" they were sold by Delhomme marine here in Houston. The 1977 model boat I owned was solid as a rock(heavy as heck too), bought it new with a Rude 85 top speed 39mph then in 1992 put a Johnie 115 and it woke up and ran 47mph. I'll bet yours with a 135 will scoot along pretty good. The transom on those old Invaders had allot of negative trim angle so the more trim you give it the better it will probably run. I belive in the early-mid 1980's Invader went out of business.

00000dan

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Thanks Tacklewasher, i was thinking of getting one of those. FINALLY im not alone!!! i tell everyone that i have an invader boat and they just look at me with a strange stare. thats awsome to hear about the speed that your getting. yea they went out of buisness in the late 80's. im not really good on my boating terminology but when you say negative trim angle?(I dont understand) give it more trim??? dont understand. hope to be able to get this thing in the water by the end of next month. have interior to finish and tilt a trim motor to get running. THAT ALL!!!(like its that easy)

red boat

Petty Officer 2nd Class

When I said negative trim angle I was refering to the angle of the transom. instead of it being at a 90 degree angle to the bottom it was like 95 degrees. to make it simple the more trim you can give it the better but it is such a heavy boat you cant give it too much or it will begin to cavitate. I too had to redo the interior and finish work on mine also so I know what your going thru but think of the fun you will have once its floating

00000dan

Petty Officer 3rd Class

thanks RED BOAT, <br /><br />now i understand what your talking about. if happen to have some old pictures of the invader could you email me the interior. i dont really have anthing to go by and am just getting my ideas by looking at other boats. i know its hard to find old pics. but if you happen to have them it would be a great help<br /><br />elhefe80@hotmail.com<br /><br />dan

red boat

Petty Officer 2nd Class

00000dan, My house flooded two months ago (the hose to the washing machine broke in the middle of the night so when I woke up and stepped out of bed into 3" of water) so I am currently not living in my home while it is being repaired. so I do not have access to any pictures as they are packed up and in storage. It did have back to back seats on each side and two jump seats on each side in the back. If I do find any picks when I move back in in mid Sept I will keep you e-mail address on hand and send them to you.

00000dan

Petty Officer 3rd Class

i am sorry to hear about your missfortune. i know what you mean. we are at 3 feet below sea level and when it rains it floods if we dont watch the drains and make sure they dont get clogged. i appreciate your help. i prob. wont get a chance to do the interior till this sept or oct. anyways cause school is about to start back up. i hope that the damage is not that bad. and ill talk to you soon.