how hard would it be to ?

1975oday22

Chief Petty Officer
build a cuddy on existing ski boat? i have an idea in my head but not sure where to start. it would be fiberglass made top rounded but where the center window is would be where the door would be to walk down into it. also slightly rounded. it would be just for seating to get out of the sun. and still low enough to see out the windshield.

Attachments

• 20220829_171315.jpg
    20220829_171315.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 15
  • 20220904_102755.jpg
    20220904_102755.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 14

garbageguy

Lieutenant Commander
what year, make, model, is your ski boat? that'll make a difference
if you're just looking to get outta the sun, maybe a bimini top?

1975oday22

Chief Petty Officer
its 1985 sunray. i am looking too either get a full enclosure or make it into a full hard enclosure or just the front end into a cuddy. soo many ideas , i have a chance to get a full canvas enclosure for it exact size but need to find someone to pick it up and bring it to me lol. failing this the other ideas

garbageguy

Lieutenant Commander
oh, not what I think of as a 'ski boat', but terms vary by region and individual

yes, many ideas for boats. boats are designed and built accordingly - adding structure typically adds weight, and boats are sensitive to quantity and location of weight. re-designs can be done, lots to consider

1975oday22

Chief Petty Officer
maybe i will wait to see if i can get someone to go pickup the full enclosure, if not i will try my hand at diy poles and using existing cover and adding onto it. or buying a cheap canvas tent and throwing it on . lol.

racerone

Supreme Mariner
Ski-boat might float with " nose down " if you add a bunch of weight.----Post pictures when you complete the project.

1975oday22

Chief Petty Officer
lucky for me my engine trims that one. lol. but will post whatever i may come up with.

JimS123

Fleet Admiral
It will affect the handling and performance of the boat. You will have to move the steering and controls so you can see where you're going. After spending all the time and money I predict you won't be happy with the results.

Trade the boat in and buy one that suits your needs.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
Sell what you ha e and buy what you want. Will be a tone less work and significantly cheaper

Cuddy's less than 22' are useless. Not enough room to sleep

Dubed

Petty Officer 1st Class
Sell what you ha e and buy what you want. Will be a tone less work and significantly cheaper

Cuddy's less than 22' are useless. Not enough room to sleep
Yep. My 21' Chris is good for storage only, that's about it. Keeps things dry. I have a porta-potty up there but you have to open the hatch to stick your head out if you're sitting on it. :)

1975oday22

Chief Petty Officer
from the results of my posting i think i will just keep it as is and look for a nother full enclosure . i have upgraded from original dash to a bayliner dash from 1980s, bought a new trim motor. fixed the back sunpad, still need to make the side boards for the inside, make some space for rods, tackle, outrigger, and update to gps speedo. . changed all lights in dash, put a led light under front deck. will post pics later on. have to upload from my phone

Last edited:

tpenfield

Staff member
How hard . . . ??? :unsure:

Wicked hard o_O

A lot depends on you and your skills. I agree that it may be easier to get a boat with a cuddy. Your boat does not look like it has enough space for a cuddy.