How Filters are Made

KJM

Lieutenant Junior Grade
I'd loose a finger in that plant first day on the job!

ejnichol

Petty Officer 2nd Class
That dude on the vertical press was in the zone. Had that zombie eye thing going on.

racerone

Supreme Mariner
Seen the videos where they preheat broke cast iron blocks before welding / brazing.----They use ----cow dung --As fuel--collected by kids around the village.-----They repair taillight lenses and all sorts of things.-----When labor is cheap you can do anything I guess.

ejnichol

Petty Officer 2nd Class
True. People can be amazingly resourceful when necessary.

airshot

Rear Admiral
Some 16-18 years back, a small marketing company representing a large auto parts chain, wanted to do a cut away oil filter display to show customers what the inside of a typical oil filter looked like. This would allow customers to make their iwn decisions on which brand/ brands they thought were best. I was working at this shop at the time and was part of the crew that cut apart numerous brand name and a few offbrand oil filters for displays in the auto parts stores. It was shockung to say the least at how cheap and crappy these oil filters were made !! After a month of cutting apart hundreds of oil filters, we realized the better brands were not the best made !! In many cases, the off brands were far superior to many of the brand names, especially one in particular. I will just say this, I will never by another Fram filter again.

Reactions: KJM

KJM

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Some 16-18 years back, a small marketing company representing a large auto parts chain, wanted to do a cut away oil filter display to show customers what the inside of a typical oil filter looked like. This would allow customers to make their iwn decisions on which brand/ brands they thought were best. I was working at this shop at the time and was part of the crew that cut apart numerous brand name and a few offbrand oil filters for displays in the auto parts stores. It was shockung to say the least at how cheap and crappy these oil filters were made !! After a month of cutting apart hundreds of oil filters, we realized the better brands were not the best made !! In many cases, the off brands were far superior to many of the brand names, especially one in particular. I will just say this, I will never by another Fram filter again.
So what brands were good?

dingbat

Supreme Mariner
Dad worked his way thru collage working night shift at Purolater.

Job shop....finish first batch, change the paint color and graphics, run the next batch

Fun Times

Staff member

Job shop....finish first batch, change the paint color and graphics, run the next batch
Did dad get to keep all his fingers?
intact that is🙏:)

KJM

Lieutenant Junior Grade

I had heard that Purolater were one of the better filters.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
Wix and Purolator are both good filters. Hengst if you have a German car

airshot

Rear Admiral
So what brands were good?
Many of the off brands had serious increases in sales, AC Delco increased in sales and Fram dropped in sales, that was all the feedback we recieved from the marketing company.

KJM

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Are Quacker State filters any good, I just installed one on my truch after I couldn't find Mobil One or Purolator.

tphoyt

Ensign
I saw a vid not long ago where the WalMart brand filter came out on top. Go figure.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
I saw a vid not long ago where the WalMart brand filter came out on top. Go figure.
Walmart filters are simply private branded and are the economy WIX filters made in the champion laboratories facility. Wix is still a better filter

airshot

Rear Admiral
The cut outs we made years back just showed the insides of the filters and what materials were used. Sad to say on more than one big brand name filter the pressure relief was a piece of waxed cardboard about as heavy as the back of a writing pad... some of the no name filters at least used a piece of rubber to do that job. We did not get much feedback from the marketing company, but, the use of thin cardboard and super thin flimsy sheetmetal, not much thicker than aluminum foil inside many filters were very disappointing to see !!