How far can it lean over

Equis

Cadet
Hello<br /><br />I have just got a 17' boat and am new to boating, when turning teh boat tips over, how far can it go before flipping?<br /><br />It seems like its going to tip, is that normal?<br /><br />Sorry for the newbie questions?<br /><br />Thanks<br /><br />Rhys :)

Mark42

Fleet Admiral
Re: How far can it lean over

My boat is a bit shorter than yours, and when it is pushed to the limit in a turn, it starts to slide out in the rear. I have been turning so tight that I could just reach out and touch the water. Cool. <br /><br />If you are going to find out the limits of your boat, be sure to have your life vest on. Things can go to sh*t in a flash! All boats handle differently and water conditions vary. Use caution. <br /><br />Disclaimer: I do not endorse the operation of motor boats at their limits or in a dangerous or careless manner. <br /><br />Mark

Equis

Cadet

"Disclaimer: I do not endorse the operation of motor boats at their limits or in a dangerous or careless manner. "<br /><br />lol, Iliek that :)<br /><br /><br />So doing 50kph, doing a hard turn full lock (not that I would) your going to flip yes?<br /><br /><br />I also own a motorbike, the same situation, only experience can teach you but sometimes that really painfull!!<br /><br />Thanks Rhys <br /><br />:)

onehunglow

Seaman

I have a 17foot also (we are talking about a front-steering wheel model with a bowrider here) - you really have to do some serious turns to "tip" a boat like that - the boat is made for sharp turns at 30mph (50kph)<br /><br />Water will start coming in before it gets close to tipping<br /><br />I agree though - if you want to try it - wear a life vest <br /><br />..and let me ask - what prompted this question about tipping - just curious about what the thing can do?

18rabbit

Captain

Unfortunately, the only way to know a limit is to exceed it. Take pictures for us. :D

TELMANMN

Chief Petty Officer

Go out on a calm lake, resevoire, etc, with minamal boat traffic. Be safe. Meaning life preserver (on) and an understanding of what you are trying to do. <br /> First get the engine warm then hit it. Take a small turn to see how the boat handles. Re-do this till you think you can handle it. Then crank it. Be preparred for anything. You learn by doing. <br /> As always, you do it slowly and carefully. Once you are comfortable, you will no longer have too ask this question.

rnsi

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Anyone going to suggest attaching himself to the engine kill switch? He's trying to roll it over, right? And maybe a friend to tow you home when the engine swamps.

Solittle

Fleet Admiral

Also need to make sure the bank account is full up to pay for the motor when it injests water as it flips and locks up at 5000 rpm.

Equis

Cadet

Well, I really don't want to flip it, just want to learn how far I can go "Safely"<br /><br />Guess it will just take time to get used to the boat, lotza fun!

rnsi

Petty Officer 2nd Class

If you want to know how far you can go, every boat is different. Push it a little, when you feel real comfortable with that, push it a little more. There will be a point when you know you don't want to push it any more.<br /><br />Gives you more reasons to be out on the water - you have to "practice".

Hooty

Rear Admiral

Seat time.<br /><br />c/6<br />Hooty

mar t gray

Cadet

just my 2 cents here but if your boat wants to flip while turning at a high rate of speed. well aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaah then don't turn at a high rate of speed......it's just a thought <br />are you looking for death and distruction even better why not <br />SLOW THE f$%^ DOWN LOL