How Easy are bellows/maybe gimbal bearing?

okboating

Seaman Apprentice
Ok guys, after calling around and getting quotes in the $500 to $800 range I am thinking about trying this myself.
My boat (98 2015 starcraft deckboat, with 5.0 merc. and alpha 1 gen 2) has started taking on water. I beleive the bellows are to blame, I tried to inspect them, but could not really tell much. The lower (I believe it is the exhaust bellows) is torn, but if I understand correctly the exhaust bellows should not really let water in. Is that right? Anyway I figure that if the exhaust bellows are in such bad shape then the other 2 might be in bad shape also.
I understand that I need the special tool to remove the bell housing, and the slide hammer, and NOT the bellows tool if I get the kit that uses the tube, and not the rubber bellows. Anyway, how hard is this job? I have replaced clutches on cars, and am usually pretty handy.
What do you guys think?
Thanks in advance, Dave

Gary H NC

Fleet Admiral
Re: How Easy are bellows/maybe gimbal bearing?

Go to the Adults Only thread and see if the manual is there for your drive.

An afternoon and about 150 bucks in parts.
Inspect the gimbal bearing and grease the u-joints while its apart.
Hopefully it has not been leaking long enough to destroy the bearing and u-joints.

Bondo

Staff member

Ayuh,... And replace the Lower Shift Cable while you're there,... It's overdue...

meesh

Petty Officer 1st Class

If you have done cluthes, you can do this. The first time is always a pita! A learning experience if you will. After that it's no big deal, but as already mentioned, make sure you have the manual.

okboating

Seaman Apprentice

I have read the manual, and it seemed somewhat daunting, but I started to really check it out, and I think it seemed daunting because it spells out EVERY single step. I watched some you tube vids and it seemed to be fairly straight forward. Are the merc parts, much better then sierra or malory? Where is one of these kits that has the exhaust tube instead of the bellow?
So I should look into replacing all of the parts in the transom seal kit (bellows, gaskets, gimbal bearing) and also the lower shift cable.
Anything else since I do not want to do this for awhile.
Thanks, Dave

meesh

Petty Officer 1st Class

Yes I would do a total reseal, bellows, cable, and bearing if it feels anything but completely smooth. I have had my boat for many years and have used Merc and sierra parts with no problem. The only part I recently had a problem with was a sierra raw water pump. It had low water flow and was overheating my manifolds. I changed to a merc impeller and it was better but still not enough flow. At that point I pitched the whole thing in the garbage and bought a complete merc pump, and problem solved. You can find all the parts you need right here on IBoats and I have also bought and had very good luck with parts from www.ebasicpower.com.

Mik

Cadet

I jus finished the job, it's not daunting, but can be confusing.

You'll need a slide hammer to remove the gimbal bearing (rented from Autozone). Also need a tool for pushing the new one in, but you have to press it in on the outer race. I purchased some pipe fittings that was big enough to press only on the race.

You'll need a tool for the hinge pin, they sell a tool, but a 1/2 inch allen wrench will work fine.

I found that it works best to connect the u-joint bellows to the gimbal housing and the exhaust bellows to the transom when re-assembling.

Best of luck.

Mik

nola mike

Vice Admiral

just did shift cable and upper bellows (i posted the experience a few mos ago, has some useful info). i didn't replace the exhaust bellows (didn't realize i was going to be removing it anyway); reused original and didn't have a prob fitting it, though that's probably because it wasn't new. i also didn't need to remove the bellhousing. only "special" tool i needed was for the shifter cable--see my solutions in the earlier post.

Falcon-

Cadet

I just replaced all the bellows/shift cable/water tube on my alpha one gen II - and I have to agree with others here, confusing at points when following the manual, but just takes a bit of persistence.

My one bit of advice is that it seems sometimes the hinge pin gets REALLY stuck and I suspect a proper hinge pin tool would be important to use rather then an allen key in those cases. The proper tool looks like an overgrown Torx driver bit.

okboating

Seaman Apprentice

Well gang, I am going to take the plunge. I just ordered the bellows kit
the bellows expander tool
the shift cable
the torx tool (or whatever we call it)
and also the bellows cement
And I also ordered the impeller/water pump kit. I was going to do this anyway and figured this will be as good a time as any.
Thanks for the vote of confidence.
Dave

jstutz101

Seaman Apprentice

Well gang, I am going to take the plunge. I just ordered the bellows kit
the bellows expander tool
the shift cable
the torx tool (or whatever we call it)
and also the bellows cement
And I also ordered the impeller/water pump kit. I was going to do this anyway and figured this will be as good a time as any.
Thanks for the vote of confidence.
Dave

I just did the impellar, it was my first time wrenching on the outdrive. It all went well. Putting the lower back in was probably the hardest part. It's definetly one of those "after you do it once the second time will be easier" deals.

I am in the exact same situation with the bellows as you are. They need to be replaced, just not sure I am ready to tackle them myself. Needless to say I will be watching your posts closely!

What would really help would be a video or DVD of someone performing the job on a Alpha 1 Gen 2 outdrive. Step by step. Could be a real money maker for some of you experts!

Jeff

okboating

Seaman Apprentice

Hey Jeff, there are a couple of video's on youtube. They are not perfect, but they did give me a little more confidence.
I'll keep this thread updated with the process when my stuff comes in.
Dave

wca_tim

Lieutenant Commander

dont forget really good hand cleaner, gloves, and a fresh box of baindaids....

gshldon

Petty Officer 2nd Class

let me make one suggestion, when doing the exhaust bellows, i would use the exhaust TUBE instead of the bellows. It is by far easier to install and does not need any special tool. The tube only connects to the transom side.

Good Luck and Happy boating

WorldOfJohnboy

Seaman Apprentice

let me make one suggestion, when doing the exhaust bellows, i would use the exhaust TUBE instead of the bellows. It is by far easier to install and does not need any special tool. The tube only connects to the transom side.

Good Luck and Happy boating

Just picked one up and installed in about 2 minutes. Really nice! The guy at the boat shop told me that it would be noisier with the tube, which I understand, but my real question is how water doesn't get into the exhaust with it, since it isn't connected to the gimble housing side?

JustJason

Vice Admiral

did you order a shift cable socket? Or do you have the ability to make your own?