How does this happen?

Bassy

Lieutenant Commander
Okay, you all know I'm a teacher. Half the time I teach Independent study, the other half I teach in a RSP classroom; the new term for Special Ed. So, in the RSP class this morning my aide and I are telling the 20+ students to bring their book packets in and they'll get a reward; a Twinkie. We get these blank stares. I ask if they know what a twinkie is. "No". Okay, do any of them know what a Ho Ho or Ding Dong is? Another blank stare with "No". I was in shock! How does a kid get to be 10,11,12 years old and not know what a twinkie is? Or Ho Ho or Ding Dong? I even asked if anyone had had a SnowBall? You know the pink ones? We even described these to them trying to jar their memory. Nope, not a clue. So, guess what tomorrow is? Yep, learning what a twinkie is and discussing the joys of eating one. Oh this should be fun! But how the heck does this happen? Someone please explain this to me. My aide and I just can't believe it! And I thought I lead a sheltered life as a kid. <br />Bassy

kenimpzoom

Rear Admiral
Re: How does this happen?

Those are "old school" snacks.<br /><br />I just asked my 9 yr old and he didnt remember them either until I described them.<br /><br />They mostly eat chips and cookies now days.<br /><br />Ken

TilliamWe

Banned

Yeah, maybe it's good that they don't know what twinkies are?? But if kids are as fat as I hear, what the heck are they eating, if it's not twinkies?? You mean, there is worse stuff out there than that???

wilkin250r

Chief Petty Officer

It's the overly-protective world we live in. Isn't it child abuse and endagerment to feed your kid sugary snacks? Maybe these parents don't want CPS called on them for neglecting their children's nutrition.<br /><br />Be careful feeding twinkies to your students, Bassy, you could end up in a lawsuit for contributing to deliquency of minors...

Trent

Captain

Just asked my 10 year old.. She knew all but the HO Ho.. (I did not rememeber that one til the wife told me) Ten year old even knew what a snowball was....Im feeding them too much junk!! Bassy must be a sugar junkie too? :) <br /><br />Im cutting the kids off of the junk food Bassy and its your falt... At least that's what Im telling them........ :)

QC

Supreme Mariner

Bassy,<br /><br />I just interviewed 4 kids from 9 - 16 (3 mine, so this might explain it . . ). They all know what a Twinkie is. One of them looked at me funny and said "the things you eat?", because he assumed I must be talking about something else. Not sure how your deal could happen. :confused:

Twidget

Commander

My wife is a teacher also. She teaches PreK and K. The last day of school, she threw a party for the kids. <br /><br />The last 30 minutes of school after she got them up from their naps, she fed the cupcakes, hawaiian punch and cookies. I'll bet the little buggers are still wired from that. :)

Winger Ed.

Chief Petty Officer

Originally posted by Twidget:<br /> I'll bet the little buggers are still wired from that. :)
Back in the early 80's, my first wife baby sat little kids during the day. <br /><br />If a parent was slow about paying her, she'd let the kid sleep all day, and feed them a 'snack' of ice cream or chocolate bar and soda pop just before the parents picked them up from work.<br /><br />Next day, the kids were fine,,,, put the parents were pretty wired..

KeltonKrew

Lieutenant

ahhhh....ding dongs.......I loved taking the foil wrapper and making it into a tight little ball and putting it in a rubber band to see how far I could shoot it!<br /><br />these kids are deprived if they can't enjoy a ding dong or twinkie...<br /><br />now the ho ho's or moon pies....you can keep those. I have bad church camp memories of those....to this day I can't eat one! (or the marshmellow bunnie things at easter) :D

Bassy

Lieutenant Commander

Originally posted by Trent:<br /> Bassy must be a sugar junkie too? :) <br /><br />
Nope, not really. I can honestly say I haven't had a twinkie or such in over 20+ years. But I do like the doritos and such. Mr. Bassy has the sweet tooth in this family.<br />Bassy

aspeck

Staff member

Bassy, after reading the setbelt threads, you better sign a waiver that says you will be responsible for any obesity or heart disease that these kids suffer from in later years because of introducing Twinkies into their diet.

Limited-Time

Vice Admiral

Bassy, <br />Introducing a whole new generation to the pleasures of the Hostess snack line. Don’t forget those great little pies, Apple, Cherry, Blueberry, Lemon, and Chocolate. Just how much Hostess Stock do you own anyway? (lol)

Realgun

Commander

Can I get a Ho Ho and not be looked at funny?<br /><br />We used to get those when we lived in West Point NY. When we moved to Albuquerque NM I asked at a small store if I could get 1 and there were some serious stares at the 8 year old let me tell you!

Link

Rear Admiral

Thats amazing... not being big on sweets but I thought Everyone knew about Twinkies.. and Im sure if I were to see them Id know what a ho ho and ding dong is.. as I know the names.. so I did a google search on ho ho and ding dong...<br />Don't go there folks.. :eek: Guess I'll check in the super market next time we go :confused:

FSHKPR

Ensign

i love the ho ho s and now they have the caramel ho ho s too :D i remember trying a deepfried twinkie once too, it was different but not bad.

brother chris

Commander

Bassy, <br />DO NOT INTRODUCE THEM TO TWINKIES!!!<br />They are really bad for anyone. <br />Remember that posting about twinkies. It was a couple weeks ago. You might want to read it before you screw up their digestion track :D

Bassy

Lieutenant Commander

Well, we brought in twinkies Wednesday and guess what? They had had them before,just didn't know what they were called. LOL :D So, they're not as sheltered as I thought they were. I sure was shocked for a day or two.<br />Bassy