How does one determine what serpentine belt to buy??!!

MajBach

Chief Petty Officer
Okay, so as advised from friendly folk here, don't go by year, displacement etc. to determine replacement part; use serial number.

So here it is: 0M333475

I thought my engine was a 2002 5.0 L with a Gen II Alpha, but I think it's really a 2001. No matter. I still can't come close to determining what belt I need. I have only one belt that drives everything, including a high mounted alternator and low mounted power steering pump. If I recall, the pulley on the alternator is quite small.

When I go here:
Mercruiser Serpentine Belts - iboats
none seem to apply.

Help?

achris

More fish than mountain goat
Re: How in the firetruck does one determine what serpentine belt to buy??!!

That link will get you to the select page... Click on the serial number range, then click on 'Alternator and brackets'... The belt is item 33. You have a choice depending on what the engine options are. You have standard cooling on an Alpha engine, no engine driven water pump... So the right part is 57-865615Q04.

My engine runs the same belt, so I took the old belt to a local car parts store and had them match it up (a lot cheaper, same quality). It's a Gates 6PK1930...

Chris.......

MajBach

Chief Petty Officer

That link will get you to the select page... Click on the serial number range, then click on 'Alternator and brackets'... The belt is item 33. You have a choice depending on what the engine options are. You have standard cooling on an Alpha engine, no engine driven water pump... So the right part is 57-865615Q04.

My engine runs the same belt, so I took the old belt to a local car parts store and had them match it up (a lot cheaper, same quality). It's a Gates 6PK1930...

Chris.......
Thats terrific, guys.
Chris: I m glad to hear I can use an automotive equivalent. Regarding same engine though, I think mine is called a "half-system"? It's a closed system that cools only the block, not the manifolds. Is that still the same as yours?

EDIT: Nevermind. Answered my own question. :)

achris

More fish than mountain goat

Thats terrific, guys.
Chris: I m glad to hear I can use an automotive equivalent. Regarding same engine though, I think mine is called a "half-system"? It's a closed system that cools only the block, not the manifolds. Is that still the same as yours?

EDIT: Nevermind. Answered my own question. :)

Post a photo of the front of your engine...