How do you tie a rope to a pylon?

sewerrat

Petty Officer 3rd Class
I know, dumb question.
Never been in scouts and tying my shoe is about the extent of my knot tying abilities.

Just bought my first boat (Four Winns fish n ski) and it has a ski pylon. What is the best way to attach the rope to the pylon?

Thanks

pinecrestwoods

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: How do you tie a rope to a pylon?

I generally like to say, "Very carefully" to those kinds of questions. Makes me smile, anyway. I can't answer that question and sound intelligent ("wrap the thing around the thing, pull it through, turn it over, flip it around, do the hokey pokey"). I know that's a smart***** answer.... I hope it at least amuses you a little. Someone should give you a useful answer.

salty87

Commander

there should be a loop in the end of the rope. run the line thru the loop and slide your newly created loop over the pylon. it should cinch up when pulling on the handle of the rope.

sewerrat

Petty Officer 3rd Class

there should be a loop in the end of the rope. run the line thru the loop and slide your newly created loop over the pylon. it should cinch up when pulling on the handle of the rope.

Thanks. This actually made sense!

sewerrat

Petty Officer 3rd Class

I generally like to say, "Very carefully" to those kinds of questions. Makes me smile, anyway. I can't answer that question and sound intelligent ("wrap the thing around the thing, pull it through, turn it over, flip it around, do the hokey pokey"). I know that's a smart***** answer.... I hope it at least amuses you a little. Someone should give you a useful answer.

I tried "very carefully" and it didn't work:mad:. I'm so bad with strings/ropes my kids don't let me tie their shoes, remove their pony tail holders, etc etc

jay_merrill

Vice Admiral

A pair of half hitches over the post usually works. If you want a little additional insurance, take the bitter end and put two more around the line, where it meets the post.

pinecrestwoods

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I tried "very carefully" and it didn't work:mad:. I'm so bad with strings/ropes my kids don't let me tie their shoes, remove their pony tail holders, etc etc

I hear ya- I am not allowed to even comb my girls' hair.... I just can't do it. I get the comb stuck and make more tangles than when I started!

And yes, a ski/tow rope should just have a loop in it that you put through the metal ring on your pylon and grab on the hook.

Have fun!

P 0 P E Y E

Chief Petty Officer

I inserted my FOOT in Mouth Post....yum yum

ovrrdrive

Petty Officer 1st Class

I've always heard that unless steady tension is kept on a bowline it can untie itself. That's not the best knot to moore the boat with. I use the loop in the end of the rope as mentioned above myself and have never had a problem.

salty87

Commander

We call it line.

We call it a pile or piling.

A bowline is a way of making a loop in a line.

Sorry to break out terminology on you.

nobody was talking about piles or pilings, the loop is already in the ski rope...we don't know anyone that calls it a ski line. ;)

thanks though

it has a ski pylon. What is the best way to attach the rope to the pylon?

Thanks

P 0 P E Y E

Chief Petty Officer

nobody was talking about piles or pilings, the loop is already in the ski rope...we don't know anyone that calls it a ski line. ;)

thanks though

I stand corrected. Escuse me please and thank you. MY bad

DevonS

Seaman

Geez... talk about resurecting a dead thread. So, to be clear, I'm just basically tying the rope on to the top of this thing? I don't have any rings or holes or anything at the top of the pole. It looks kinda like this one, only much older.

rbh

Fleet Admiral

A clove hitch then a half hitch to lock it down, clove hitches are adjustable.