How do you store / transport your rolled up floating mat on your boat?

ChooChooSnakeMan

Seaman Apprentice
Hi Everyone, I'm new to family bow rider / deck boats. We just purchased a 6' x 15' closed cell floating foam mat (Members Mark from Sam's club) so the grandkids could have a place to play and hang out. I've seen people running down the lake with their mat rolled up and sitting on their swim platform. Is this the default best way outside of having a dedicated "mat storage rack" on the boat? Our Ebbtide 2660 FC doesn't have an extended swim platform but instead one that is built into the hull. I'm thinking of just rolling the mat up as tight as I can and putting the two velcro straps around it. Then put it on the back swim platform and run a rope through the middle and just tie the rope off to cleats which are on the back just beside the swim platform. Does this sound like a good plan or will I damage the mat and or have it unroll and fly away at reasonable cruise speeds (25 - 30 mph)? Any advice is greatly appreciated.

Scott06

Admiral
Hi Everyone, I'm new to family bow rider / deck boats. We just purchased a 6' x 15' closed cell floating foam mat (Members Mark from Sam's club) so the grandkids could have a place to play and hang out. I've seen people running down the lake with their mat rolled up and sitting on their swim platform. Is this the default best way outside of having a dedicated "mat storage rack" on the boat? Our Ebbtide 2660 FC doesn't have an extended swim platform but instead one that is built into the hull. I'm thinking of just rolling the mat up as tight as I can and putting the two velcro straps around it. Then put it on the back swim platform and run a rope through the middle and just tie the rope off to cleats which are on the back just beside the swim platform. Does this sound like a good plan or will I damage the mat and or have it unroll and fly away at reasonable cruise speeds (25 - 30 mph)? Any advice is greatly appreciated.
On my sea ray 200 sport- I have a similar built in swim platform and similar sized mat. two person job to roll up but I do it exactly as you are proposing with sending a stern line through the middle cleat to cleat. Dont sweat rolling it up tight as you can I bought slightly bigger straps so you dont have to fight it so much

The whole thing is a PITA similar to mud wrestling a water buffalo when you roll it up ...but kids have a ton of fun on it and the adults nice to sit on the edge and enjoy your favorite beverage. You arent going to hurt it and will be amazed when a bunch of people are standing on it

In the end I wish I had bought one a bit smaller...

ChooChooSnakeMan

Seaman Apprentice
On my sea ray 200 sport- I have a similar built in swim platform and similar sized mat. two person job to roll up but I do it exactly as you are proposing with sending a stern line through the middle cleat to cleat. Dont sweat rolling it up tight as you can I bought slightly bigger straps so you dont have to fight it so much

The whole thing is a PITA similar to mud wrestling a water buffalo when you roll it up ...but kids have a ton of fun on it and the adults nice to sit on the edge and enjoy your favorite beverage. You arent going to hurt it and will be amazed when a bunch of people are standing on it

In the end I wish I had bought one a bit smaller...
Thanks Scott, I can see that it is a pain to handle. It's not heavy but bulky and awkward. I may wish I had gotten a 6' x 9' but with 5 Grandkids we decided on 6' x 15' and Sam's / Walmart had a great deal. $199 and we got it shipped free! We will be trying it out on Saturday so fingers and toes crossed:) I am happy that you store yours rolled up on the swim platform as I propose to do. I also may look at rolling it up and storing it longways outside the windshield on the side of the boat. The reason for that is that I would need the stern area to transport the big tube the kids like to ride on. It may work out that they have to choose, the mat or the tube but not both on the same outing.

Scott06

Admiral
Thanks Scott, I can see that it is a pain to handle. It's not heavy but bulky and awkward. I may wish I had gotten a 6' x 9' but with 5 Grandkids we decided on 6' x 15' and Sam's / Walmart had a great deal. $199 and we got it shipped free! We will be trying it out on Saturday so fingers and toes crossed:) I am happy that you store yours rolled up on the swim platform as I propose to do. I also may look at rolling it up and storing it longways outside the windshield on the side of the boat. The reason for that is that I would need the stern area to transport the big tube the kids like to ride on. It may work out that they have to choose, the mat or the tube but not both on the same outing.
Yes is an issue with the tube. what I have done is unroll the mat and anchor it where we are hanging out. Then pull the tube out. Requires a good 12 v inflator but worth the effort.

Last edited:

ChooChooSnakeMan

Seaman Apprentice
Yes is an issue with the tube. what I have done is unroll the mat and anchor it where we are hanging out. Then pull the tube out. Requires a good 12 v inflator but worth the effort.
Thanks Scott, I hadn't thought of just anchoring the mat while we tube in the area. I suppose that would work out although sad to say as busy as Chickamauga is on the weekends and with more and more people today having no shame I'd be a little concerned that if my back was turned someone would scoop the mat up and take off. You know they would justify it with, "Look at this almost new mat that someone lost":-(