how do you know if you need a tune?

JustJason

Vice Admiral
Re: how do you know if you need a tune?

I tell my customers there is no such thing as a tune or "tune up"

What there actually is are manufactorers required service intervals to help maintain troublefree boating.

But ya... if your engine runs like crap, then you need it tuned... I mean.... properly serviced.

Aviator5

Chief Petty Officer

Well, a good tune always help. I always have a nice tune playing when working on the boat.:)

wbc1957

Petty Officer 1st Class

Yeah, and with older boats, "Classical Gas" is the best tune for improved performance!

foodfisher

Captain

If you don't know the last tune time, it's time again.

5150abf

Vice Admiral

With food fisher, if you haven't done anything to it recently it is time, if you take care of it, it will take care of you.

At least change plugs, lower oil and do a decarb and if your pump is more than 3 years old change it and get a compression gauge and get a base line now then check it periodically, it is like taking the engines temperature, if a problem starts you will see it in the compression numbers.

Lower oil is the big one, if you don't keep an eye on it and pick up a leak it doesn't take long to trash it and you don't even want to know what they cost.

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

in the 50's early 60's, changing and adjusting points, coils, plugs, and carbs, lower unit oil, was called a tune up.

now days with electronic ignitions, etc, it is called preventive maintainance. change lower unit oil, fuel filters, plugs, etc.

insearch

Seaman

Is 350+ a good price to have the dealer do a tune up or what ever you call them on a 1995 90 hp Johnson 2-cycle.

I hardly think it has a lot of electronics to it and it doesn't play music

180shabah

Rear Admiral

Is 350+ a good price to have the dealer do a tune up

As noted above, "tune up" means different things to different people on different engines.
What EXACTLY is the dealer including in that $350?

insearch

Seaman

Says he wants to rebuild the carbs, he hasn't even seen it. Says that is the first thing he does to all engines and he is an authorized Johnson repair facility.

I think I will wait a while, I just purchased my Sea-tow policy so I will take it out Friday and see what happens

Will change the lower oil first, seems simple enough.

180shabah

Rear Admiral

Verify the factory fill procedure for your gearcase, you DO NOT want air pockets.

insearch

Seaman

From what I have been told and read, you drain then fill from the bottom till it comes out of the top, put the top cap on then the bottom cap

the motor didn't come with a manual

my local marine supply suggested this: PowerPro Lower Unit Gear Lube and probably a Quicksilver Gear Lube Pump