How do you jack up a trailer with the boat on it?

Manipulator

Senior Chief Petty Officer
I want to jack the trailer up (Ez Loader) and take the weight off my tires while it is in storage. The boat would be on the trailer (1983 Sea Ray SRV225). Is there any way to do this or another way to keep the tires from cracking due to prolong sitting?

craze1cars

Lieutenant Commander
Re: How do you jack up a trailer with the boat on it?

Put the trailer-tire-changing jack you carry with you while travelling under the axle(s), crank it up in the air, and put a pair of jackstands under the axle(s). If you have a weak jack, do one side at a time so you don't exceed its capacity.<br /><br />If you don't carry a jack that's capable of lifting the axle of your trailer for a roadside tire change, this is the perfect time to discover the problem, go buy one, and practice with it.

Bondo

Staff member

Or,........ Another viable Option is,......<br /><br />Jack,+ Block the trailer Frame..........<br /><br />That'll also take the weight off the Springs...........<br /><br />And,.........<br />It can be done with the Tongue Jack,........<br /><br />Just Lower the tongue jack as Low as it'll Go,....<br />Block the rear of the trailer Frame,.......<br />Now,.. Crank the tongue jack Up, above level........<br />Block the tongue,+ Lower the jack till the Blocks are carring the weight.........

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner

As long as the wheels are off the ground, give them a spin every time you walk past them. Keeps the bearings from marking the races.

jtexas

Fleet Admiral

Put cinder blocks under the axle, then let out enough air to take the weight off the tires.<br /><br />Might want to make sure your portable compressor works before you do this. ;)

rwidman

Lieutenant

Originally posted by jtexas:<br /> Put cinder blocks under the axle .............
Cinder blocks are not safe for this purpose, they can easily crack or crumble under the weight. Automotive jacks stands work well for this purpose. Put a suitable sized piece of lumber or plywood under the stands so they don't sink into the pavement or ground.

rwidman

Lieutenant

Put the trailer-tire-changing jack you carry with you while travelling under the axle(s), crank it up in the air,.......... If you have a weak jack, do one side at a time so you don't exceed its capacity.
Most trailer axles will bend if you try to raise them from the center. Do one side at a time, placing the jack as close to the trailer frame as possible (and safe).<br /><br />Block the wheels on the other side before jacking and/or leave the trailer connected to the tow vehicle so it cannot roll.

craze1cars

Lieutenant Commander

Ron raises two very good points and I should have been more specific in my first response. I frequently raise my entire boat/trailer by centering my jack under the axle, but as a former auto shop owner I have a commercial floor jack with a wide double-pad load equalizer. It supports the axle from two locations about 3 feet apart.<br /><br />As I'm sure most do not have that luxury, I fully agree it should be done one side at a time when using a more conventional jack. And I also fully agree that individual cinder blocks are not a safe way to support anything as they're extremely brittle and weak. Jack stands are cheap and safe.<br /><br />Thanks for the save, Ron.

gonefishie

Commander

what about those things that new boat sits on at the dealer with out being on the trailer? They look like some source of support with short bunk and rollers on them so that the whole boat can be move. Normally there would be one toward the front and one in the back to support the boat.

rwidman

Lieutenant

Originally posted by gonefishie:<br /> what about those things that new boat sits on at the dealer with out being on the trailer? They look like some source of support with short bunk and rollers on them so that the whole boat can be move. Normally there would be one toward the front and one in the back to support the boat.
Most of us don't have a large fork lift handy and besides, storing the boat and trailer seperately would take twice as much room.

JStutz

Seaman Apprentice

How about just leaving the trailer alone? Seems simple enough. Probably too simple. :) <br /><br />Jeff

jlinder

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Regarding the cinder block warning - while I use jack stands under the axle, I do use cement blocks under the front.<br /><br />I use the large blocks, usually double them up, then place a good thick board between the blocks and trailer frame which distributes the weight.<br /><br />I can't fit the jack stands directly under the axle so they go slightly behind. This increases the tounge weight, but I doubt it is over 700 lbs. The doubled large blocks with wood is works well for me.

CapCrunch

Cadet

I have a question. After the trailer wheels are blocked, why not let the trailer jack carry the weight of the tounge? Why bother to block the front?

craze1cars

Lieutenant Commander

Prevents the tongue jack from rolling, and is a bit more stable. Not real critical however, in my opinion, if you're storing on level ground.