How do you do your taxes?

Tyme2fish

Commander
This is not an endorsement, but I've been using TaxCut Deluxe for 5 years. I'm a salaried employee with a few capital gains and stock sells so my taxes are pretty simple.<br />The first year I used it I had a brokerage account that fairly well "churned" buys and sells. When I found out I had to list each separately with dates bought/sold basis cost, etc I freaked. How am I going to figure this out on the old paper forms. Found Taxcut and life has been good since. Also get one free Federal E-file out of it.<br />I use it to do my son's taxes and even some of the wife's kinfolk. It's just "plug and chug".

Drowned Rat

Captain
Re: How do you do your taxes?

I use TurboTax and it comes with free state tax software. Also, everything you enter in the Federal part transfers over to the state form, so you don't have to enter everything twice. It also keeps information current year to year so you don't have to re-enter stuff every year either. <br /><br />Makes my life a lot easier.

tcube

Petty Officer 1st Class

Turbo Tax for many years.

Tyme2fish

Commander

Thanks for the replies. I have accounts at Merrill Lynch that Turbo Tax will download and put on the forms. Might try that next year

Twidget

Commander

I use my wife. She was in tax accounting for 14 years before changing professions.

Laddies

Banned

The last few years I use a profession Bookkeeper, I wish I would have started years ago they certainly have saved me much more than they charge---Bob

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Used TurboTax for a while, switched to TaxCut. Switched back to Turbotax after one year.

jinx

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Turbo Tax for business and personal

Sea Six

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Turbo Tax for me, for several years now.

Kenneth Brown

Captain

Used TaxAct last year and trying to use them again this year. The paperwork part is free, e-file is only $7.95. My complaint with TaxAct is its SOOOOOOOOO SLOWWWWWWWWWW! I still have a ways to go and I have been doing it over a hour!

gewf631

Chief Petty Officer

Originally posted by JB:<br /> Used TurboTax for a while, switched to TaxCut. Switched back to Turbotax after one year.
Same here. I got a great deal on TC's Premier version last year. <br />Even though it cost more, I'm back with TurboTax (this make's the 15th year I've use TT).

NYMINUTE

Captain

Carefully myself. I like to owe a few $ so I have my $$ all year. Close this year with a $7.00 refund.

dolluper

Captain

I do it myself also with a pen,calculator alot of head scratching If it's done wrong guess who I blame that's right the WIFE

WillyBWright

Fleet Admiral

TaxAct three or four years. State refund is here, Federal tomorrow. :) My state has a free e-file, but it's hard to navigate and both years I tried it I would've gotten half the refund I did.

fixin

Senior Chief Petty Officer

The wife always does them...I talked her into turbo tax this year...Exact same amount as she got.I guess I'll keep her. :)

deputydawg

Lieutenant Commander

Pencil and paper for the ranch accounts.<br /><br />Use the IRS tax site online for filing. I am low enough income it is free and very simple.<br /><br />In my case taxes are so simple that I can't bring myself to pay someone else to do it. The 10-99's I used to do for the land rent, and the 2 W2's for my employees took a little time, but keeping good track throughout the year in a notebook made it simple.

Ralphy

Petty Officer 1st Class

For those of you that havent done your taxes yet, you might want to check out the IRS website at www.IRS.com. This year several of the computer tax form companies (TurboTax and several others) have their software available as a link that you can use for free plus free E-file. I used it about 2 weeks ago. I always bought TurboTax before and it is the exact program you buy retail except FREE!

cntrydude

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Wifee does them by hand with a calculator. Us countryfolk taxes are not very complex!