How do you define "Due Process"

jimchere

Petty Officer 1st Class
Just curious, what do you all think constitutes "due process" in terms of law? Where does "due process" end? How far up or how many echelons of justice should an individual go before having been given "due process?"

SpinnerBait_Nut

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: How do you define "Due Process"

If you do a crime, you are arrested and charged with said crime.<br />You go to trial and a jury finds you guilty without a shadow of a doubt, then you are guilty of said crime.<br />If they find you not guilty, then you are free to go.<br /><br />Judge hands down sentence and the penial system is to carry out said sentence.<br />To me, that's due process.<br /><br />Sorry, I am a firm in my thoughts as an eye for an eye deal.<br />If you kill someone on purpose, then you should die.<br />If you kill someone while drunk and driving, then you should be put off the roads forever with out a chance ever of driving again.<br /><br />If you abuse a child in anyway, you should be put in a place where you will never see the light of day again and rot there.<br /><br />I know, I know, never happen, but that's the way I feel. :mad:

Boomyal

Supreme Mariner

Originally posted by jimchere:<br /> Where does "due process" end? How far up or how many echelons of justice should an individual go before having been given "due process?"
As far up the ladder as statutory dictates allow. Assuming that all other rules were followed, when you get to the end, 'due process' will have been fulfilled.<br /><br /><br />Oh, SBN, you are just so mean! and you do know what they say about 'mean people' dontcha? :p <br />Where is your sense of tolerance and forgiveness? After all, it's not their fault. We should just give them a set of weights, a playboy magazine, a television and internet service and let them live in peace. Poor victims. :mad: <br /><br />Yikes! I almost forgot. Get them down to the county registrar to get them signed up to vote.

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

I read once about a legendary lawman (don't remember his name) who called his 1861 Colt Navy single action, "due process".<br /><br />I liked the way he thought, but. . . . <br /><br />So many condemned and imprisoned people are being proven innocent by new technology recently that my thoughts are confused on the issue.<br /><br />Don't you wonder how many people have spent their lives in prison or been executed who were truly innocent? That thought horrifies me.<br /><br />Do we need to rethink what it takes to condemn someone to death or life without parole? Has our lust for retribution overcome our dedication to justice? I wonder if double jeapordy in some cases might be a just idea. I think that our inability to retry a person found "Not Guilty" (not PROVEN guilty) if new and compelling evidence is found results in a lot of shaky "Guilty" verdicts. Maybe the state should have right to appeal and reverse Not Guilty verdicts.<br /><br />On the other hand, how in the world can we release a habitual child molester or career criminal from prison? Doesn't that far too often murder more children?<br /><br />Solomon had it easy. :(