How do you clean out a gas tank?

Bass-by-you

Seaman
First off....sorry if I have posted this in the wrong place, I haven't been here for a while. Troubleshooting has led me to the fact that I have a gas tank full of *&^$#@* that keeps on clogging the pickup line. I cannot remove this 50 gallon tank. Any tricks for getting the )(*&^%$#@ out?

NYBo

Admiral
Re: How do you clean out a gas tank?

Um, yes, you DID post this in the wrong place.:redface:

Anyway, while observing the proper safety procedures (ground yourself to the tank, have a fire extinguisher handy, etc.), remove the fuel gauge sending unit and insert a siphon hose through the opening.

Bass-by-you

Seaman

Thanks NYBo for the reply. I am set up to get the gas out of the tank....I was just wondering about a good method for removing the debris that is plugging up the pick up tube filter?

NYBo

Admiral

A large-enough siphon tube should get most of it out along with the gas. Once the tank is dry and fume-free, you can use a shop vac to suck out the rest.

Lrider

Chief Petty Officer

What do you do with the gas?

I have about 30 gallons I need to dispose of

symonds86

Seaman Apprentice

put out a saying that says free gas it will disapear lol but really most salvage yards can tell you where to take it

Shife

Chief Petty Officer

A large-enough siphon tube should get most of it out along with the gas. Once the tank is dry and fume-free, you can use a shop vac to suck out the rest.

A used gasoline tank is never free enough of fumes to try something like that unless you're purging it with an inert gas. A shop vac and a empty gas tank is a good way to end up in the hospital.

Diesel tanks are much easier. Cut a hole in the top (plastic or 'glass only), shove your arm in there and scrub, then seal it back up.

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member

WARNING BAD ADVICE ^^^^

An empty 50 gallon tank has enough explosive ability to blow a house down. You will not be capable of making the fumes non explosive and the shop vac was NOT designed for explosion proof use. I just do not want to see anyone hurt.

Please trust me on this.

How and where is the tank mounted? What is clogging up the fuel filter's? What debris are you finding? It may be time to remove the tank and possibly replace it.

forgedin78

Seaman

I'm not recommending this, but...Ive heard of old-timer welders using the exhaust from a car to weld on a gas tank. Supposedly they hooked a hose from the tail pipe to the gas tank and let the car run. I have to assume that the exhaust fumes must push out the gas vapors???? Does anyone here know about this trick? What is the principle involved?

DuckHunterJon

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Agree witih the above, do not use a shop vac! I have restored several motorcycle tanks. I will usually drain it completely, fill/slosh/drain with soapy water 3-4 times. Then add a length of chain, fill with water, slosh (the chain helps break up any loose rust inside), drain a couple of times, then rinse several times with clean water. Then I will use a shop vac to BLOW air in to dry it overnight in order to prep for sealing. After doing all this once (yes 7-8 total rinses with water), I went to weld a split seam. About 3 seconds into the weld, there was a loud pop. It didn't explode, but it was enough to pop out a golf ball sized dent on one side and scared the you know what out of me. Gas vapors are very difficult to completely eliminate from a tank.

Before replaceing it, is there a possibility of adding an inline filter right at the pick up?

capt sam

Master Chief Petty Officer

because it's co2, you're trying to replace the fumes with an inert gas. As stated don't use and electric shop vac.

Bass-by-you

Seaman

Okay as usual, everybody on iboats has great ideas and I appreciate the response. A little background. I am bringing a 25 year old boat back to life. This is an 898 system with a 50 gallon square sided aluminum gas tank. When the boat was built, the tank was laid and then the main floor was put in over the tank. There is a hatch in the main floor which gives you access to the tank, BUT this opening is not even close to being big enough to pull the tank. At least not without cutting up the main fiberglass deck. The engine has been starving out of fuel at WOT. So, I have rebuilt the carb replaced all fuel lines with USCG (A) replaced the mechanical pump and added an electric pump. Now the boat runs fine for about 10 minutes and starves out again. The last time I went out for a test drive and this happened, I disconnected the fuel line from the elec. pump and blew back into the tank through the pickup tube. There was momentary but significant resistance for a few seconds and then I could get bubbles in the tank. I did this about 4 times and worked my way back to the dock. So I am assuming that there is sediment, or a diaper or rust or or or.....I intend to use the e pump to pump the gas through a significant filter into a 55 gallon drum. Then open the tank where the float level is. This gives me about a 1 1/2 inch opening......I was wondering about any products or techniques that might be useful under these circumstances. As always...I really appreciate the responses. I PROMISE NOT TO USE A SHOP VAC!!!!!

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member

Cut the deck...... Remove the tank and properly clean it out. Deck repairs are not that tough to fix..... based on the age that is the route I would take.

Shife

Chief Petty Officer

Then open the tank where the float level is. This gives me about a 1 1/2 inch opening......I was wondering about any products or techniques that might be useful under these circumstances. As always...I really appreciate the responses. I PROMISE NOT TO USE A SHOP VAC!!!!!

We had to clean a bunch of sediment from bad gas out of a 40gal plastic tank on the family pontoon. We removed the level sensor and used coat hangers with lots and lots of paper towels, rags, etc.. It worked well but the shape of the tank forced every thing to a point just below the sender opening making it somewhat easy to corral and remove the crud.

Warning: If you use a flashlight to peer inside the tank it must be approved for use in explosive environments. Many, but not all, lights made by Streamlight, Underwater Kinetics (UK), and Pelican meet this requirement. The flashlight will be permanently marked as intrinsically safe on its case if it meets the requirement. For the love of God don't use a regular flashlight to look in a tank.

The rating that needs to be stamped into the case to use near fuels/fuel vapor is Class 1, Group D, Division 1. If you do not see this rating stamped into the flashlight, don't use it near gas/vapor.

http://www.labsafety.com/refinfo/ezfacts/ezf343.htm

Lrider

Chief Petty Officer

My 2 cents

SHOP VAC Gasoline

ARE YOU NUTS?

You will draw the fumes through the VAC motor, and WILL ignite the gas

BOOM !!! :eek:

Suck the gas out with your mouth you will live longer

amishboy

Seaman

In the Marine Corps, before loading a gasoline tanker on ship or plane it had to be drained and purged. The purging was done by running diesel fuel through the tanker.

True story - a young Marine called me once to ask how to purge a tanker. I told him diesel fuel. He asked again if I was sure. An hour later a Captain called to chew my tail because his troops were putting diesel fuel in their.....water buffalo.