How do i winterize a 1985 JOHNSON 60hp vro motor? MODEL# J60ELCOD

vik 44

Cadet
Just got this motor rebuilt this year and it runs great i want to keep it that way!!! How do i winterize this motor to the t i need help please! Need a step by step if someone can please shed some light on this for me!! I dont know if i should spray the fogging oil in the carbs and let it bog out or spray it just in the spark holes.please if someone can give me a step by step i would greatly appreciate it thank you!!!!

HighTrim

Supreme Mariner
Re: How do i winterize a 1985 JOHNSON 60hp vro motor? MODEL# J60ELCOD

Im not sure if that motor has the schraeder valve or not, but first but a marine stabilizer in the fuel tank and run her for a good 10 minutes to cycle it through the system. Then bring her to the dock, and spray fogging oil into the throat of the carb until she dies. Pull the boat out of the water, remove plugs, spray some more into the cylinders, pull recoil to fully lubricate cylinders. Replace plugs. Change out gear oil with new gaskets on the drain and vent screw. I also lightly mist the powerhead in oil to keep it from corroding over the winter. You can also pull the drain plug in the carb to drain excess fuel. Disconnect the battery, remove the prop, clean out any old fishing line from the prop shaft, grease splines and replace prop.

You are good to go. Keep the motor tilted vertical so that is can self drain.

vik 44

Cadet

Thanks chris since it's a new motor I've been running the oil mixture 50 2 1 is that okay if I leave the oil , fuel,stable,mix all together and run it fo the 10 minutes?

vik 44

Cadet

Any thought on this hightrim?

etracer68

Ensign

I take it your VRO is disconected, if your mixing your fuel/oil. On new or rebuilds, its generally recomeded 25:1 for about 25 to 50 hrs, before going to 50:1. But yes, you can run it all together. I will mix the stable in my fuel the last time I take the boat out for the year, that way I know its gotten into the carbs. My 4hp kicker ran for five minutes before it ran out of fuel, after I turned the valve off, just from gas in the float bowl. I also, and most people will not recomend running a OB out of fuel, I did it at idel, and as soon as it sputtered, I turned it off.

vik 44

Cadet

When fogging the motor through the carbs do i leave the motor in neutral or where should the throttle be? And do i spray fogging oil till the motor boggs out!!

etracer68

Ensign

You can leave it in neutral, and if you have two carbs, like I do on my 90HP. I will get two cans of fogging oil, and bring the rpm to about 800, and then spray each carb at same time, until the motor dies. Then you can take out the spark plugs, and spray a little in each cyl, and rotate the motor by hand (flywheel) a few rotations, put plugs back in, leave motor in the down position, change gear lube, grease, and you should be good.

vik 44

Cadet

well thakyou to everyone that helped me i have just finished winterizing my first boat and it feels great.Thankyou to everyone that replied i cant thank you enough. I just Want again to say thankyou to everyone again and have a great christmas and a happy newyear to alll!!!!

Captain Koz

Seaman Apprentice

I would probably change the lower oil NOW as well. In the fairly common event that your 1985 lower has a slight leak and water got in, you want the water out before it sits and causes corosion or damage due to freezing.