how do I tell if my 3.0 l sx is a 125a or b

newish

Cadet
Or a 130c or d? How do i figure this out? I need to order a headgasket kit for it and wanna make sure I get the right one so I can get back on the water

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: how do I tell if my 3.0 l sx is a 125a or b

A 3.0L SX is a GM 4 cylinder engine, the 130 and 125 are Volvo, not even related to GM. Post your full model number or serial number if you want help finding the proper gaskets.

newish

Cadet

1996 Volvo 3.0l sx cobra drive

newish

Cadet

The flame thing over the carb says 3.0 sx on it

redneck_cdn

Cadet

Check the side of the valve cover for the Engine Model # there is a breakdown on this site to decode the Model, 1996 sounds like it could be an OMC/GM Grey engine.

http://www.volvopenta.com/volvopenta/na/en-us/parts_service/faq/pages/faq_model_name.aspx

"Charcoal engines

These engines were built during the joint venture with OMC and were painted a dark charcoal color. They were usually named by long character strings that contain two numbers followed by a series of letters.

The two numbers are the displacement.
Next is the letter that indicates who made the base engine. ( G=GM, F=Ford)
After that, one or two letters that note the fuel system and/or output. L=Limited, S=Superior, X=Exceptional, i or I=Fuel injected (no I means carburated).
Then one letter for the steering system. P=Power steering, M=Manual steering, X=Exact steering, I=Inboard
The next two letters are the most important for finding parts. These are random letter pairs that indicate the years of production for the engine. All parts information for these engines is based on these letter codes, including the charts that follow later in the book.
MD = 1993-1994 BY = 1997-1998
HU = 1994-1995 WT = 1998-1999
NC = 1995-1996 EF = 1999-2000
LK = 1996-1997

The next letter is also random and is used for version control. An .A. may not be the first version. .A.C. may not have been built before an .S.. An .S. in one engine's name may not mean the same thing as an .S. in another engine's name, especially if the engines have different displacements or production years. When needed this code is noted in the charts. There are instances where it is needed to find the right column for an engine.

Some names have the letters .CE. at the end. This indicates the engine meets certain emission requirements. The only service part affected is the ECU. These part numbers are noted when needed in the catalogs.

These engines went out of production in 2000."

newish

Cadet

Wow thanks for the great info! Im sure it will help I ended up taking the boat to a marina where I live they will have it done by next week they are also putting in a carb kit for me... once I find out the model number how do I figure out what size pitch I should use?

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

once I find out the model number how do I figure out what size pitch I should use?

First, go over to the prop forum and read the stickies about the information you need. Then post your question in that forum.