how do i remove this prop guard?

Status
Not open for further replies.

wwcj101

Seaman Apprentice
when i bought this boat. the previous owner put a stern safe prop guard on it. he didnt give me a special tool to remove it. is there a way i can remove it with out the key or is there some where i can buy one?

JeepinGunGuy

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Re: how do i remove this prop guard?

Do you have a picture of this thing? I dont know what it is but I have a very good idea on how to make things right if I could see it.

jaxnjil

Lieutenant

wwc; i have a good idea of what your talking about but don't really know of a good way to get it off.
I'm thinking those will be made of Stainless S Steel so torching wont work.don't know about a plasma cutter or air arc. they might work but not every one has access to them.
there made to be theft proof so....... i have heard you can get the club off a car steering wheel by cutting the steering wheel its self with a large bolt cutter, and have seen those mag wheel locks on car wheels knocked right off with a 3# hammer
one on a boat prop is new ground for me.
is there any way to find out the original mfg and get help from them?
maybe a side winder grinder

sorry know wasn't much help;jack

techwriter

Cadet

Before you begin to tear up something. Check various online stores for propeller locks. If you find a brand that looks like what you have then you could do a search for the manufacturer and possibly get a key or whatever to get it off.

iboats lists the "McGard Prop Lock" and that manufacturers website is at:

http://www.mcgard.com/Home/MarineProducts/PropellerLocks

Since iboats carries that brand maybe you can get some help from them.

I have noticed that McGard is the only brand of prop lock that I have seen listed anywhere. Maybe McGard is the only company that makes a propeller lock.

If yours is not that brand then maybe do a google or whatever search for prop locks.

This is probably like it is with pickup cover locks and locks on many other items. There is probably only a few keys, maybe even one key to fit all of them.

This assumes that you checked everywhere in the boat for the key. Places like the glove box if you have one, the float type key chain if you have a hollow one or maybe it is just hung up somewhere on the boat out of sight. If I had a prop lock I would probably hide the key under the engine cover or under the steering console up and above the back of the instrument panel.

Last edited:

wwcj101

Seaman Apprentice

ive searched pretty good for the key. im not real sure what to look for either thoe. i dont think it will be a regular key. ill get some pics posted soon.

jaxnjil

Lieutenant

ive searched pretty good for the key. im not real sure what to look for either thoe. i dont think it will be a regular key. ill get some pics posted soon.

i think your right. i hope you can get it off with out damage to your prop shaft.

5speedhemi

Petty Officer 1st Class

Did anybody get info about getting the propeller lock off?

5 speed

steelespike

Supreme Mariner

I think I wold see if you can attack the guard not just the bolts that secure it.The Kriptonite bike lock is a very good lock but if you figure out where to cut a regular hacksaw will cut it off.The whole idea of the guard is to discourge tampering.I thief doesn't want to stand there for 5 minutes cutting off the guard and then have to still take the prop off.A hacksaw or maybe a drill or hole saw, a dremel tool,A cut off grinder.

5speedhemi

Petty Officer 1st Class

We already cut off the stainless spinning ring. The nut itself is Brass and the vice grips just slip and tear off the material... I would assume that it is normal RH threads? If not she's tight now! LOL

5 speed

Philster

Captain

The 'key' is a round, cylindrical device, a little bigger than you see on wheel lugnut locks for autos.

I have a key for mine from the previous owner, but couldn't find it and decided that if I could prove ownership to the maker, they'd sell me a replacement if I provided a pic. (Even is you got the wrong maker, they would be able to tell you who else makes them. Ain't no way you are the first person in the situation.)

The end of the key has notches that engage the lock pattern and it pretty much is like a form of a socket tool.

steelespike

Supreme Mariner

We already cut off the stainless spinning ring. The nut itself is Brass and the vice grips just slip and tear off the material... I would assume that it is normal RH threads? If not she's tight now! LOL

5 speed

If the vice grips are tearing it up a drill should be able to drill it out.
Is there no way to cut the guard itself? Or if it has a hindge
perhaps you could cut the pin somehow.We used to sometimes be able
to simply use a hole saw slightly bigger than the bolt or lock and just cut the bolt/lock out of the door or in your case the guard.Needs to be a hole saw for metal.

steelespike

Supreme Mariner

AH HA now I understand. Perhaps a beefy basin wrench now that you have the ring off,a little pb blaster to help things turn.Did you release the lock washer tab?

Bluskymaster

Recruit
I bought my boat with a stern safe on it the company who makes it told me how to get it off and sold me a new lock plate and refers kit. I still use it with a new key and lock plate. Steer Safe has instructions on removal and were very helpful

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Old thread and now closed. Please glance at our rules about replying to old threads. Thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.