How do I remove the locking tab washer?

BigK75

Cadet
I am not sure what tool I should use to remove the locking tab washer. The tabs are bent quite in so its difficult to get a screwdriver in there with out damaging the prop. Can you guys give me some help on how this is done or what tool you are using. I would love to remove this prop. <br /><br />Thanks, <br /><br />Claude

quantumleap

Master Chief Petty Officer
Re: How do I remove the locking tab washer?

The prop lock washer? if you cant get a screwdriver in there, try a paint can opener. You can practically push them in with your finger, so you shouldn't hurt anything. If that still doesn't work, grab the end with a pair of needle nose pliers and pull them out.

DHPMARINE

Captain

BigK75 Sounds like you have an older style tab washer.I use slip-joint or channel lock pliers.Merc also makes a tool.When you get it off replace it with the new style,which bends and unbends easier.Functions great.No problems.<br />DHP

Ben Konopacky

Petty Officer 1st Class

I use slip joint pliars that has a cotter pin puller built in on the end. works great,slips rite in the grove and grabs the tab.

KCLOST

Commander

You have the old style washer... So go at the tabs from the side corners... Get just under the corner and turn the screwdriver to slowly raise each tab... I had a hell of a time with mine, but it worked... It's not easy but may help you... Don't put the old one back on. Buy a new style, and you'll never have that problem again...<br /><br />I also used a very small crowbar/nail puller like thing a few times, a miniture version only about 5-6" long... It worked ok.. Found it at a hardware store...