how do I put the tiller handle on

storedaddy

Cadet
I have a johnson 1961 18 hp fd-15 it was missing the tiller handle. I just got one in the mail today. how do I put it on? do i just pry it apart and slide ot over the mount. I don't want to ruin it.

Chinewalker

Fleet Admiral
Re: how do I put the tiller handle on

DON'T PRY IT! It's an aluminum casting and it WILL break!

Remove the handle grip. Keep track of the spring inside the grip. Remove the throttle position sleeve. Under that will be two screws. Remove them. Remove the screw near the base of the handle, too. The handle will now split into two halves.

Lightly grease the throttle rod that goes down the middle of the handle - grease it anywhere it moves against anything else. Also, put a little grease at the base of the handle where the nubs for the swivel are. Keep track of any thin brass spacer washers that may (or may not) have been included.

Okay, now slide the half with the throttle rod into place. It will go on the outside (port) of the mount base on the engine. Gently turn the throttle rod so that the "missing" tooth area allows it to clear the casting as you maneuver the handle into place. Once past the casting, continue to turn the throttle rod so that the gears are properly aligned with the ones on the engine side. Both gears have one tooth missing and one extra wide tooth to allow proper alignment. Once in place, re-attach the empy half of the handle. The two small screws get tightended TIGHT. The longer screw near the base gets tightened according to how snug you want the handle to act as it goes up and down. I prefer mine to be just snug enough to stay where I put it. Some people prefer that it always return to the down position on its own - it's up to you.

Replace the throttle position sleeve, replace the spring, lightly grease the tension cap that the spring rests in inside the tip of the grip - has two nubs that align into the slots up and down at the seam on the end of the handle castings. Push the handle grip onto the handle, turning slightly to allow the tension cap's nubs to hit home, and replace the screw in the end of the handle.

That should do it! I hope it makes sense - description is from memory...