How do I know wich V6-block? (183 or 165 cu.in)

D5GT

Cadet
Where I should find and what numbers or is there some other visible differences?

Dhadley

Supreme Mariner
Re: How do I know wich V6-block? (183 or 165 cu.in)

An 89 is the big bore. The small bore powerhead will bolt on though.<br /><br />Look at the head gasket. At the top there will be a part of it sticking out between the head and the block. If that tab is straight across its a small bore. If that tab has a notch or "U" cut out, its the big bore. <br /><br />The casting number on the heads will help too. BUT -- you can bolt the small bore heads on a big bore block.

D5GT

Cadet

Thanks a lot, I couldn't find casting number?! must be painted over.<br /><br />I'm a little affraid taht my engine is older than I was informed, model might be 88 or even 86 !? There is no visible numbers/modelcodes, bad luck. Only modelcode sticker tels nothing, no text left.<br /><br />I'v been looking those small bore heads from europe, with no results. If you know some plase to get from the US... and that is the reason why I'm little worried about yearmodel;)

Dhadley

Supreme Mariner

Just look at the head gasket tab. That will tell pretty much everything.

D5GT

Cadet

It's been raining couple days, couldn't go to boat.I was talkin engines casting number.. (not a native english speaker;)<br /><br />Heads are original, and there is number:33149-2, I'v looked it before from BRP-parts catalog, couldn't find anything.. is there any more sources?

Dhadley

Supreme Mariner

Those are the small bore heads from 1986 to 87. If those are the original heads then its a small bore. They still could be small bore heads on a big bore block, youd just have to run some good fuel. <br /><br />What about the head gasket tab?

seahorse5

Rear Admiral

Unless the motor has "mix and match" parts, the smaller block looper has dual power packs on the top aft of the block. The 3.0L block from '88 on up has the single wide pack which contains the QUICKSTART and SLOW circuits, and the stator has an additional black insulated coil pack with orange wires coming out of it. That is the power coil which supplies current to the pack for the computer circuits internally.

D5GT

Cadet

&%#"% that's what I thought. Those days were quite common that dealers bought lots of engines an sold then for several years... so all papers says it's -89 but it has been at store couple years.<br /><br />I haven't visited at boat, but I'm sure that engine is 86-87. Around here nobody, even racers wont modify their engines.. and these big loopers are very rare, no knowledge.<br /><br />Shame, I could't put small bore heads for better compression.. and extra HP.<br /><br />Thank you for your help! I'll start looking big-bore looper.. bright side is, now I'w got 2,7l heads.

Dhadley

Supreme Mariner

Actually..........<br /><br />You can bore a 2.7 to a 3.0. <br /><br />What is it we're trying to do? We assume you have some sort of performance hull that will respond to these changes.<br /><br />What do we have and what are we trying to accomplish?

D5GT

Cadet

I'v got 21 footer 7,8ft wide, sideconsole(?!?) weights around 2000 pound (full loaded)<br /><br />I'm looking for 55 knots for "everyday use", now i'w got 48-49 knots.. Cheap and easy as possible, as I said here is't knowledge, and I'm not an engineer or even good mechanic. I know theory, but never done anythin like rebuilding.<br /><br />To do list for speed: lift trim tabs, so I can take then out of water. Fix hull "smooth" as possible (must have antifouling). Find optimal engine height. I'm also thinking lift, lift may cause balance problem.. ofcourse looking for best prop. And find couple extra HP (95 octane gas).<br /><br />Only part wich is missin, is engine power. I was told 2,7l heads in a bigbore give around 25hp, and smoothing crancase etc. edges gives also 25 hp. (i'm trying to buy 3,0l V6, they are almost same price as pistons etc. wich I need if I bore 2,7l to 3,0l.)<br /><br />So result should be; I'v got over 100km/h or 55 knots (63mph)

D5GT

Cadet

There is also "sticking" head gasket and 2 power packs.