How do i install this ignition coil.

motor boater

Petty Officer 1st Class
I'm replacing the ignition coils on my 40 horsepower Mercury outboard 1982 Thunderbolt ignition model. Oh and it's a two stroke. When I was ordering the parts I noticed that the old coils have been replaced by a newer version. My question is, how do I install these new ones?

On the old coils there was a ground wire that pressed against the coil mounting bracket. On these new coils that I got, there is no ground wire,. Just a little metal arm that's connected to the negative terminal of the coil. There is also a little cylinder shaped part that looks like it goes into the center of the coil. Is that correct?

Do I put the little cylinder in the hole where it looks like it's supposed to go into? And is the little metal arm that's connected to the negative terminal of the coil supposed to be "IN" the sleeve or "OUTSIDE" of the sleeve and pressed against the coil mounting bracket like the ground wire from my old coils did. I'll attach some pictures for reference. Thanks for any help in advance

Attachments

• photo245894.jpg
    photo245894.jpg
    23.7 KB · Views: 4
  • photo246250.png
    photo246250.png
    492.3 KB · Views: 4
  • photo246251.png
    photo246251.png
    1 MB · Views: 3

Faztbullet

Supreme Mariner
That coils a universal and the round piece is ferrite for thru bolt mounting. Just put it back like it was with metal arm inside cover....

motor boater

Petty Officer 1st Class
So theres no need to insert the ferrite cilinder piece in the center of the coil? Just keep the metal arm tucked in as in picture 2 and install?

What about the little ground wire that was on my old coils that pressed aggainst the coil mounting bracket, these coils dont have that wire, so does that matter or do i not need to worry anout it?

motor boater

Petty Officer 1st Class
Faztbullet. So do i put that ferrite cylinder in or no? It arrived with that piece out of the coil.