How do I install a Bildge?

Muppet

Cadet
I have a 17" 1968 switzer and I pulled out all the crap from the back where the tanks are and there is fiberglass covering the bottom of the haul where the plug is.Ther is like a channle down under there that I can't get to. Water can though, becuase it drains out ok. Any ideas what to do? Kinda thinking I will need to cut a hole and find the channel.

Boomyal

Supreme Mariner
Re: How do I install a Bildge?

Pictures speak a thousand words muppet. Post a few and there will be a lot more understanding as well as a lot more good responses.<br /><br />It ought to be mandatory that all DIYers have a Digital camera as a prerequisite to becoming a member of iboats. :D Hey JB! :p

cuzner

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Hey Boomyal, got the camera, just no clue on how to add pics to post.muppet, are you thinking of adding a bilge PUMP?<br /><br /><br /> Jim

Muppet

Cadet

Ya Cuzner, want to add a pump, I keep taking on water mostly from waves =)

AJ168

Petty Officer 1st Class

A bilge pump should be standard equipment on boats. Buy an automatic one so that you don't have to worry about it.<br />As far as installing one goes, just follow the wiring directions that come with the pump and you need some way of mounting it. I just used marine adhesive after thoroughly cleaning and sanding the area where it was to be mounted. It's worked so far for me.

cuzner

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Hey muppet, looks like your gonna have to cut a hole through the floor and another through the hull for discharge if you don't have one. sounds like your talking about stringers under the floor. Someone might have another solution to your problem, might be easier to just drill a hole through the floor and use a manual bilge pump to pump overboard as needed.<br /><br /><br /> Jim

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner

The bilge pump (depending on type) only needs about a 5 or 6-inch diameter hole. The plug I see in the picture can't possibly drain the cavity below the floor unless there is another plug at the back of the boat we can't see. Anyway, using a piece of wire, make it into an "L" shape with a 3-inch "L". Insert it in the hole and pivot it around, if the "L" doesn't hit anything, you have room to cut a 6-inch hole. Drop in the pump (you may have to make a bracket to hold it). Plumb the pump outlet overboard well above water level.

Muppet

Cadet

Ya there is a plug out the back at the bottom of the haul. Will give the L hook a shot, it is a very very tiny pump